Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to connect to ngwnameserver . . . why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
Greetings all ~

Recently, one of my users started receiving errors when opening GroupWise (5.5.4) - Normally, when starting to connect to the mail box, it will briefly show the IP address and the port number (190.190.X.X:1677) - but recently stated "Connecting to ngwnameserver1 than would switch to ngwnameserver2.

I can not figure out what this ngwnameserver is. Following my user to another PC - I've ruled out PC/local install issue. At least I think I have. Any suggestions what this may be? Needless to say, my user can not connect. Even if I manually for the TCP/IP address and port - is states the TCP/IP connection could not be established.

Any help would be great!

Sounds like you are haveing an PO issue, have you checked out to make sure you PO is up and responding? You might want to ping the Address to ensure it is responding. If it is responding then attempt to reload the PO Agent.

ngwnameserver is a default dns lookup for GroupWise, if it does not find any systems running on your custom configurations it always default and broadcasts for ngwnameserver1 and ngwnameserver2, it is kind of a last ditch effort to locate the PO.

If none of that works for you, consider rebooting the server, of course this is a last ditch effort but if there is a server error or your TCP/IP service has hung for some reason this should correct it. Make sure you are present at the console to ensure you can attend to any errors....

Hope this helps you out....

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

place a DNS entry for NGWNAMESERVER in your internal DNS and give the IP address of one of your IP servers running a POA. the NGWNAMESERVER is just a DNS name that GW points to find a user to PO match in your GW system.

Thanks much for the replies. Very helpful and informative.

It appears that I may be having some PO issues or something. I'm really unsure. I dropped the server, brought it back up and everyone appears to connecting just fine. That's the good thing.

As suggested by 'sobak' - I was at the console to attend any errors seen durning the reboot.

I recieved 2 at the PO load - stated D109 error. Twice in a row. Not quite sure what those mean, but I'm sure they'll creep up to haunt me later.

Also, I'm not sure if these are related, but in NWAdmin --> Server error log, I keep receiving INNOCULAN Hooks.

Thanks again!

D109 can mean alot of things, it really depends on when and where you received it. I suggest going to Novell's web site and do a search for the D109 error. Most errors of this nature can be resolved with a Novell TID, sometimes you got to dig for them. If you run into anything else let us know.....
david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Try making a shortcut to the groupwise program and forcing the path /@u-userid /ph-post office path in the targe path... c:\groupwise\grpwise.exe /@u-userid /ph-post office path. You should only have to use the force once. If that does not help I would run maintenance on the user mailbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back