Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to connect to inbox via POP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy10

Technical User
May 8, 2003
GB
Running Red hat Linix 8.0 .
Have setup a mail box, and can happily send/recieve email . Required to provide the ability to give a customer to sign in to the mail account and look at the inbox via POP3.
So even thought the accoutn seems to be happily seding and recieving emails whenever I test using Outlook Express I get the following error :-

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.
Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems,
or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Bell End',
Server: ' URL', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Have configured under Linux Firewall and rule that allows TCP on port 110 as destination as below :-
RULE: If protocol is TCP and destination port is 110 and state of connection is NEW

Have clicked apply configuration so rule applied.
Have substitued the URL for the real IP address as connecting over a VPN and same error as above.

The user account password has been changed to NO PASSWORD REQUIRED and attempt to connect ..same error. Changed password TO NORMAL Password as re-tried. No change in error status.
Is there something that needs doing ?

Appreciate any help as this seems simple task to setup.

Is your POP3 server running?

Try netstat and look for port 110/POP3

If you can retrieve emails from localhost you may be using direct access to procmail mailbox with no need for a POP3 server.

On RH8 you have to install a POP3 server from what I remember. a good one I use to use before Dovecot is imap-2002d-3.i386.rpm, you can search it on
Cheers

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

Gotta love the name of your email account :)

have you tried the following on the machine with outlook - and the RH server if you have ssh access;

From the Server;

telnet localhost 110
user $username
pass $pass
stat

If you can get on here then all is well with the server; try the client :)

From the client machine;

get a command prompt;

telnet $server_ip 110
user $username
pass $pass
stat

If you cant from here then its likely to be firewall related - try double checking that the source IP is allowed for 110 access. do an 'iptables --list | grep $client_ip' from the command line and see if the rule appears in the table.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back