Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to build computer system. Need help on where to start. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinuxMasta

Technical User
Aug 5, 2006
US
Hello,

I have dreams of creating a new type of system. I have already done some simple stuff with the Intel 4004 (really simple) and I found it was too hard just to try to use combinations of wires on the leads to try to give it responses (i told you REALLY simple). I was trying to find a good place to start with assembly and hopefully build a new type of system. I know this sounds really bizare but I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

i dont quite understand your post.

you mention wires and leads, are you trying to "build" a motherboard? or are you looking to write your own OS based on an existing boards instruction set?

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson

Yes I am attempting to build a motherboard, but a simple one. Yes i intend to write an OS as soon as I build the motherboard good enough to use a monitor but NOT with already existing parts.

you may want to do a google for "computer architecture and design" or "motherboard design" or better still pop into your nearest university library.

some references i keep bumping into on google are

Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface, 2nd Ed., D.A. Patterson & J.L. Hennessy, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1998.

and

The Indispensable PC Hardware Book, 2nd Ed., Hans-Peter Messmer, Addison-Wesley, 1995

however i have never read these books so cannot comment on there level/suitability.

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson

The question remains:

- are you building a motherboard
- are you building a processor the be placed on a
motherboard
- if you are not building your own processor, what kind
of processor are you going to use.

Keep in mind that a high frequenty processor ask's for
a very different design than say a 20MHz.

What kind of memory do you want to use and are there
chips needed for the periferals.

Give me some more info and I might be able to give you
some hints in designing your motherboard.

Tessa Bonting

I saw one on e-bay a couple of weeks ago.
Sombody paid about 120,00 dollars for it.

Ok, it was the special gold version.

Well,

I am trying to build a motherboard and use the exhisting 8086 processor. Ill do the easist memory configuration possible, I dont want to make this a HUGE project... I want to make everything for the computer EXEPT for the processor and the screen/monitor/tv and rf modulator. I got the 4004 out of an OLD computer that was a custom computer that my dad built way back.... Thanks for all your help and I welcome more. :)

Thanks

Well actually he didnt build it as i remeber, he actually ordered it with a whole bunch of other stuff. It was a really nice old computer until it got fried like 4 years ago. :(

maybe you can start by studying the pin configuration
of the microprocessor that you've got. you can start
with wiki -
i had some experience with 8086/8088 systems. i will
assume that 4004 system that you are trying to build
is not too far off the 8088/8086 systems.

The 4004 came out in 1971...

Why anyone would be interested in such a device other than for sentimental reasons is quite beyond me...

But a Z80, hey! now yer talkin'

Hello,

I just wanted to let you guys know my progress. I currently have the 8088 interfaced to a calculator screen and i am using a breadboard for input. It's REALLY buggy EX: has problems with boolean logic and such but it does math just fine. Thank you to all of you who have been giving me HELPFUL posts.

Thankyou

PS Ill give more details later.

Surreal.

So you've given up on the 4004 and jumped 3 generations to the 8088?

(8008, 8080, 8085).

Are you attempting to run your 8088 in Min or Max mode?

What sort of memory are you interfacing it to?

How are you programming your EPROM?

Do you have an EPROM emulator?

How have you interfaced the 8088 to the "calculator display"?

We try to help people on this site, but questions such as yours are somewhat undefined which does tend to make sensible suggestions a little... er... difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back