Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to backup Microsoft cluster servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamason

MIS
May 15, 2000
US
I need to know what is the correct way to backup Microsoft cluster servers. I have a Unix Networker server with Networker 7.1.1 installed. My Microsoft cluster has 2 physical servers and a virtual drive (shared between the 2 physical servers).
I had originally installed the Netwoker cluster license on the backup server, created the both physical clients and used the virtual names as aliases and backups worked perfectly (using saveset ALL). Unfortunately when one of the physical severs failed and the virtual drive failed over to the other node, the virtual drive was not backed up. I have been told that I need to create Networker client with the virtual name so that whenever the virtual drive fails over to the other physical server, Networker will still backup up the virtual node.
I did that but I am noticing that whenever the backup starts Networker says that there is no backups for the virtual name and is performing a full backup. The full backup is then run using the physical server name as the client. I have used save -c virtual name and still the backup is saving under the physical server name and also doing full backups everytime.

Any input would be appreciated. What am I doing wrong? What is the correct way to backup a Microsoft Cluster with Networker?

The general procedure is fine. However, you of course need 2 Cluster Client Connections (CCC), one for each physical node.

Then verify whether the backups are stored for the proper client. As long as there is no backup for the client you want to use, NW will always start with a full.

Thanks for the reply.
I do have enough Cluster Client Connections. The backups are being stored on the Physical Node client. When the backup of the virtual client starts, it tells me that the there are no backups (rightly so) and then proceeds to do the full backup using the Physical Node client name. I have even tried doing a save -c virtual_client, but the saves still go top the Physical Node clientname.

Do you specify 3 clients
- one for each physical nodes
- one for the virtual node

What does the command report with respect to these clients:
nsrlic -v
?

Very interesting observation. It looks like I have NT Cluster Client licenses and you tell me that I need Cluster Client licnses. Does this make a diffsrence? Additionally I do not see the virtual client listed in the NT Cluster Client licenses. This is the output:
CLUSTER CLIENT LICENSES
Available: 0
Used: 0
Borrowed from Cluster for NT: 0
Borrowed from Cluster for UNIX: 0
Borrowed from Cluster for LINUX: 0
Remaining: 0
Connected Clients: ;

NT CLUSTER CLIENT LICENSES
Available: 15
Used: 12
Remaining: 3
Connected Clients: mopcitcls03a, mopcitcls03b,
mopcitcls06a, mopcitcls06b,
mopcitcls07a, mopcitcls07b,
mopcnssecdb01, mopcnssecdb02,
moppgpbeacls01a,
moppgpbeacls01b,
moppgpbeacls02a,
moppgpbeacls02b;

Additionally the virtual client shows up in the heading Defined Clients. Look here:

Defined Clients:

wilbur,

This looks weird. You use CCC but they do not appear in the summary. Unfortunately i can't tell you why this is the case. However, it does not seem to matter for the other cluster clients.

This means that you obviously successfully backup 5 MS Clusters but you have problems with the last one.

I still wonder whether you use the correct licenses. The reason why is that there are still 2 types. The old ones will appear like this (single license only):

Z:\nsr\bin>nsrcap -nvv -c xxxxxx-yyyyyy-zzzzzz
Read an enabler:
name: Cluster Client Connections/1 (2132)
enabler code: xxxxxx-yyyyyy-zzzzzz (001823569)
license type: i1
demo days: 45 days

nsrcap: License enabler code is valid.

They should not be sold any more. Instead you should have a reply like this:

Z:\nsr\bin>nsrcap -nvv -c xxxxxx-yyyyy-zzzzz
Read an enabler:
name: NT Cluster Clients/1 (2110)
enabler code: xxxxxx-yyyyy-zzzzz (001905790)
license type: j1
demo days: 45 days

nsrcap: License enabler code is valid.

Z:\nsr\bin>

I was just talking about CCCs in general. I don't know which ones you have and whether they can be mixed - for instance if your licenses are older and you updated over the years . Probably there is also a bug.

I am afraid the best is to open a support call.

There seems to be a 7.1.3 pathch for this issue. I will test it and get back to you.

Did you delete the virtual names as aliases in the phy.node configuration? You should!

You must grant remote permission. s.a.
----------------------------------
How to Back Up Virtual Server Data
On a virtual server, NetWorker software only backs up the shared disk data
that exists on the virtual server. Virtual servers in the cluster become
NetWorker virtual clients.
To back up virtual server data:
1. Create a client. For more information, see "How to Create a Client" on
page 206.
2. Configure a Client resource for each cluster client in the cluster.
3. For the Save Set attribute for the virtual client:
• To back up all of the shared drives and active physical drives that
exist on a client, specify All.
• To back up only the drive volumes of shared disks that a virtual client
owns, specify the drive volume letter. For example:
G:\
4. For the Remote Access attribute (in the Remote tab), add each NetWorker
client that corresponds to a physical node. For example:
SYSTEM@physical-client1
SYSTEM@physical-client2
-------------------------------

cyberted

I resolved this issue by upgrading to 7.1.3 and also applying a patch that updates liblocal.dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back