Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to avoid reformatting unstable computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshineandwine

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
CA
OS WIN98 SE. Recently I contracted a trojan horse. NAV did not give me a name for it just Trojan Horese. The infected file srvreg.exe had to be manually removed. With the help of the steamwiz I was able to remove the trojan but it has left my system unstable. The circumstance of the virus detection are as follows: NAV updated virus definitions, I clicked to open my DivX player my computer shut down. To reboot I had to switch the main power switch off at the back for several seconds and the virus was detected. (Sarc, and symantec were not helpful at all)(have done mutiple scans other places.... and the hijack this already). Symptoms of the virus were that my system shuts off at random (the power switch at the back must be shut off for several seconds to reboot always when this happens). This continues even after removal although it's not exactly random. I can listen to music, send receive email, download music, chat, as long as I don't do any of the "no no's" my computer will behave perfectly normal for hours and hours, shut down and restart as normal. If I visit try to burn a cd, try to run a scan to repair the damage with my Norton Utilities,chat while searching the internet, open a site that plays the wrong type of graphic the computer shuts off. may take several reboots to get it back up shutting down at various stages.
I suspect there are system files corrupted. In fact I know there are because I did check the system files using the file checker tool and there was a missing file but I couldn't extract it from my Windows 98 CD. I did read how to extract it but my brain didn't compute. Could someone explain how to repair my system files (as if you were telling it to a complete moron)(well but nicely).Or could someone suggest another solution.
All hardware devices are reportedly working properly. Don't think it's a power supply issue but willing to entertain the idea if there's a reasonable argument.
I really don't want to have to reformat. From what I've read here and everywhere else that seem like an even bigger nightmare.Please help

Thank you in advance

Hi

Run SFC /SCANNOW again and get the name of the missing file, then write back here with the name of it.

You will need your Windows 98SE CD handy for later, so get this ready (I wouldn't trust an OEM preinstall if a machine has been virus infected, as it may have corrupted the preinstalled copies, but I have never heard of this before).

John

It is possible that this fix might not be enough and you may yet need to do a reinstall. (been there, done that)

If you need to go further, then an overlay reintall would be the next step. SE is good about that if you need it. But since there is always risk, put it off till you have to do it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

jrbarnett

The system file scan show that C:\Windows\SYSTEM Setupx.dll is altered or corrupted.
My Windows disk is beside me however I lost my manual probably a year ago, it had the sticker with the key number on it hope I don't need that?

Ed Fair

What is an overlay reinstall. Can I reinstall windows without loosing all my documents and having to reload everything?

Thank you both for replying.

Overlay install is a reinstallation without removing the old. You put it in the same place as the original.

If (and it is a risk) everything goes back like it should you won't lose anything. But you will end up with stuff out of the original install that can still be corrupted.

For the extract you won't need the number. But when you get it up and running again get the CD key out of the registry and write it on the CD with a magic marker type pen.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

edfair.
All the updates and everything will work with an overlay install. You know I keep everything updated windows and antivirus. Don't know how I got the little bugger but you can bet a good firewall is my next purchase if I get this fixed.

Sunshineandwine,

I have looked through each of the CAB files on my 98SE CD and maybe I am blind, but I cannot find setupx.dll in any of them, which is bizarre because I would assume it to be somewhere in there.
I did a google search for it and a version is available from

however the version number here corresponds to windows 98 first edition (rather than second) so I am not sure that this is the correct option.

The Microsoft website also recommends using msconfig to extract it but don't say how. As I don't have a 98SE box to hand I can't give exact instructions at the moment.

As for a firewall, ZoneAlarm, Kerio Personal Firewall and Tiny Personal Firewall are all free for personal use, so there is no need to spend money.

John

thanks john. It's a zip file and I can use winzip to extract it. So I've downloaded it and am ready to install. I copied the old version from my system files onto a floppy disk. Hopefully if it screws things up worse I can just replace the old file. Wish me luck.
As for the firewalls.
I just find most of the free software more anoying than it's worth, zonealarm crashed my system before. And you just never know what's tagging along. I have read so many articles about adware, spyware, and such I doub't I'll ever download anything other than for emergencies again sing as that's what probably got me into this situation.One good thing that this problem has brought about is that I have learned so much that it has actually been worth it even if I eventually have to scrap this whole thing and get a new computer.

If this doesn't work I'm going to try an overlay install (thanks edfair) but first I'm borrowing a friends computer to transfer all my documents for the meantime (I get to try my hand at networking)if that doesn't work, I will do what I have dreaded all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back