Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to add 4th computer to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brimestone

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
CA
I **$&%^#@#(*&#%$&* WINDOWS 2000

ok, heres the problem, I just added a fourth computer to my network, the other three computers can see the forth, but can't gain access. The forth computer is unable to see any of the other computers on the network but can see it's self. I'm using a Linksys 4 port router, but get this, the forth computer can't access the router and the IP is not in the same group as the others, like wise, the fourth can't access the internet.

I think it would be easer to do jail time for lighting a bag poo on fire at of Bill Gates front door than to configure windows 2000 <sigh>

please help!!!!

It would help us if you could provide more details on your network configuration.

I assume that your router is also a DHCP server, or are you simply allowing Windows 2000 to automatically designate itself an IP address?

For a small LAN like this, you could manually assign IP addresses from one of the private scopes, such as 192.168.1.x - depending on the IP of your router, of course, where your router will be xxx.xxx.xxx.1.

Ensure you have no other protocols loaded, such as NetBEUI, IPX, etc, and ensure that the IP stacks are identical on each PC.

Use ping to verify that everything is talking, and enable Windows File Sharing. If your ISP provided you with DNS server addresses, ensure that these are in each IP stack as well - including the DNS suffix.

As a last resort, you could always create an lmhosts file on each PC...

Make sure everything pings first.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

You might try accessing the router and under DHCP make sure that there's enought DHCP users assigned.

You could also check that you haven't plugged into an &quot;uplink port&quot; with it set to uplink.

oops!

I am having almost the same problem. However, I only have one W2KPro machine - the other three are Win98SE.

My entire LAN was working fine when I had 3 machines (W2K & 2*W98). My subnet is 192.168.1 (mask 255.255.255.0) and my workgroup is RHOSGOBEL. My W2K machine has a 2nd NIC for DSL/PPPoE, which works fine (no ICS active - only W2K has Internet access!).

When I added the 4th machine (3rd W98SE), it shows up in all computers' Network Neighborhood, under Rhosgobel workgroup, but when I try to access the new computer (name=Quickbeam), I get the dreaded &quot;Network path not found ...&quot;. This occurs on all 3 machines that were working fine before - and they still work fine with each other, they just can't access the new machine. The new machine (Quickbeam) only shows itself in the Rhosgobel workgroup. I cannot ping to or from the new machine with the other machines, using name or address (although the other machines can ping just fine with each other, using name or address).

The 4 machines are connected via a D-Link DSS-8+ switch. I see activity on the switch (a ripple through all the lights) when the new machine boots and when a ping is attempted. The line must be working in order for the computer name to be boadcast to the other computers. I am definitely not using the uplink port.

The new Win98 machine (Quickbeam) has the exact same settings for all components in Network Neighborhood properties as the other two (working) Win98 machines (except the last byte of the IP address, of course). Only the TCP/IP protocol (w/NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled) is installed/configured on all machines.

I've tried two different NIC's and two different cables with the new machine, with the same results. Currently, the installed NIC is a D-Link DFE-530TX+.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Well I still couldn't get the network to work with the fourth computer, I check the cables again and it all seems to be ok. I took the computer home and install it in my home network, it didn't work there either so I removed the D-link 530tx NIC and install it in another PCI slot and reinstalled the drivers.

BINGO! It works with my home network, I think it was a IRQ conflict with the ATI RAGE PRO video card, I've had goofy problems with these D-Link 530TX cards in the past, but still not a bad card for the price.

I'll let you all know if I get it working on the work network.

Radagast,

Brimestone's moving PCI slot might be worth trying.

As you've changed NIC, I assume you have reinstalled networking on Quickbeam (I was going to suggest removing network card from device manager & rebooting to let windows reinstall it & networking protocols. That has fixed this problem for me in the past with win98 machines).

Also - have you tried Quickbeam & just one other machine connected to network (try each)?

OOOOKEYYYY!!!! I returned the computer to work and now all the other computers can see the 4th computer but can't access. I rechecked sharing blah blah. can't ping the computer only get time outs.

The 4th computer can't see any of the others, and still auto gets the wrong IP, and still can't access the router. I'm running about 150ft of CAT 5 cable that tested ok.

Network problems burn me out

I e-mailed D-Link about my problem and they said the cable is too long for the 530TX NIC. The NIC must be 802.3 compliant and I should try a Cisco card. They also said the 530TX is only good for about 75 feet.

Any thoughts on how should fix this problem?

This is driving me crazy! I have completely uninstalled card (from both NetProps & DevMgr), powered down, removed card, powered up, made sure networking was gone (no TCP/IP or any other protocols), powered down, installed card, powered up, installed drivers (watching networking modules being installed), restarted, set IP address & mask, & restarted.

I have repeated all of above for 3 different cards in 3 different slots. I also tried moving my SCSI adapter, but it won't run in any slot but PCI 2 (see chart below).

The following chart shows all of my used (or attempted) slots and the results from each card position. This is a homebrew PC with AMD K6-II 450 & 128MB DIMM.

Tyan S1590S Trinity 100AT MB (ISA slots 1-3 not used)[tt]
D-Link DFE-530TX+ - *3 - *4 *3 -
Linksys LNE100TX (v1) - *3 - *3 *3 -
Linksys LNE100TX (v4) - *5 - *5 *5 -
ALS100+ &quot;SoundBlaster&quot; - - - - - =

notes:

&quot;-&quot; not tried (used by other card)
&quot;=&quot; works (only place)
*1 hangs machine during boot
*2 generates stacks error during Windows startup
*3 card installs, no network accessible (including self)
*4 card installs, only self accessible on network
(other machines see computer, but inaccessible)
*5 card not seen by BIOS (or Windows),
although both lights on at card and switch
[/tt]
Linksys LNE100TX (v1) is half-duplex (i.e., the full-duplex light doesn't come on on the switch when it is active).

Apparently, the Linksys LNE100TX (v4) is broke, as it wasn't even recognized by the BIOS.

The closest I can get to an operational network is with the D-Link DFE-530TX+ in PCI 3, which leads to the symptoms described in my previous post.

I'm only using about 15' of CAT-5 to this PC, and to 2 of the others. One PC is at the other end of the condo, using a 50' CAT-5 cable (it works fine).

I have plenty of free IRQ's and never any conflicts reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back