Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying 2 Delete files in winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mef930

MIS
Apr 30, 2003
I'm trying to delete unwanted files from the windows explorer that were left when I uninstalled the software. Everytime I try to delete the file it says 'access denied'. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

Expand the tree as far as it will go, and delete one folder at a time, starting at the bottom.
Check to see that there's no part of the software sill loaded/running in the task manager.
If you're dealing with a Norton/Symantec product, I suggest you search their site for proper removal instructions, as nothing comes easy with their stuff.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Right click on the top folder >Properties look to see if the check box on Read Only is checked or shaded and with a check mark. Uncheck it then do the same to on the subordinate folders. Should be able to delete then barring some other problem.

... or change the permissions on the file so everybody is denied full access (presuming you are an administrator) and reboot, set the permissions back and it *should* be deletable

I've tried everyone suggestions. I changed permissions and rebooted it didn't work. It's an avi file I'm trying to delete. Can someone help me?

Thanks

.avi files are known for this problem. The property data for the file is stored at the end of the file, and explorer can take forever scanning the file (thus it is "open") trying to read the property information for the file so that it can preview it.

1. Start, Run, CMD and use DOS directory type commands to navigate to the directory. Use a DOS DEL <filename.avi> command to delete it.

2. Or, to prevent the behavior under Explorer:

Start, Run, regedit
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

Delete the value you find there.

Select a file - windows stops.
thread779-422825

There is some evidence of a bug in XP in handling AVI files, where the file is corrupt or broken, causing explorer to read the whole file looking for index or property details.

It has been suggested to correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

Another thing that may work.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back