Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Try this forum - Weird modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewRW

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
AU
OK, this one has me stumped:

Running WinXP Pro, using an external Swann Ultra-SVD 56K, Rockwell chipset (flashed to the latest one possible) with latest driver).

Problem: Dial-up networking reports ISP is busy, or V90 connect fails, get speeds of around 21k or less - very variable. If I use a V34 init string get a more stable connection, and sometimes get 33.6 connections...

Had noise issues on the line, now fixed. Phone company technician came over and connected to their test system using a laptop, and the phone-to-modem cord I use with high speed and no errors/retrains - I connected to their test system with low speed and errors/retrains...

No com port conflicts..changed from com 1 to com 2, still happening.

No devices nearby that could cause interference, I don't think.

Weird thing is, I took my computer + modem to a friends house and it seemed to work fine. But could have been a one-off.

Also, for some reason when I turn on the PC with the modem off, winxp tells me that the modem is not connected (if I turn the modem on and try to dial out). Why?????
Any ideas?

If you are on a "pair gain" line, you won't ever get over 33.6
The "modem not found" issue was supposedly adressed in SP1, and there is a patch/article in the MSKB about it.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks again Jim. I'll look for the fix - I have sp1 installed, so didn't seem to work.
Cheers,
Andrew

Jim! I'm still having the modem not found error - can't find a fix in MSKB - tried searching using the error number with no joy...do you remember any more details?

Mind you, considering that using the search term "windows update troubleshooter" didn't come up with a link to the troubleshooter, I'm not suprised I didn't find anything...that is one poor search facility...

cheers,
Andrew

I can't find the article either, and hate trying to search at MS.
You'll just have to make sure the modem is turned on before the computer.
Here's a couple of init strings you can try, although nothing may improve your connection.
If there's more than one analog to digital conversion between you and your ISP, it's just not going to happen.
Anyhow, try these, one at a time, in the Extra Settings box of Advanced modem properties:
+MS=V90,1,,,36000,56000
S202=32S95=1+MS=V90,1
S10=50S11=50+MS=V90,1,,,36000,56000
S202=32S95=1S10=50S11=50
If you get any better response with any one or two of the above, let me know, and we'll see if we can combine them for the best possible.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks Jim,
You answered in regards to my line speed problem in another forum :)
Turns out it was the modem - I've now got a 33.6k Web Excel attached and it's running just fine (not as fast as a 56ker, but what the hey).

I guess I will just have to make sure to turn the modem on first...although I've found when I forget to do that, if I go into Modems from the control panel, click on Add, and let it try to search for the modem, it will report that no new modems were detected - and then the status of my existing modem will change from "not present" to OK. Bit of a pain, but it means I don't have to restart the system...

Thanks again,
Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back