Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trusted Zone Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekodachromekid

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
US
I guess I'm a little confused by the Trusted Zone. If I have three computers, all of which are in the same workgroup, and all of which connect to the Internet through a router, i.e., each machine is individually connected to the router, do I need to run a copy of ZoneAlarm on each computer in order to protect the LAN? Or, can I put it on one machine and have it protect all of them simply by adding the IP addresses of the other two computers into the Trusted Zone of computer #1? As it is now set up, I have a separate copy of ZoneAlarm on each machine, with each machine's ethernet card listed in the Trusted Zone. A friend has his set up similarly, that is, his computers each connect separately to his router, but he only has one copy of ZA, and has all of his other computers listed in the first computer's Trusted Zone. Are his other computers protected by the first computer's copy of ZoneAlarm, or is he leaving the other two computers unprotected?
Am I doing this wrong, or is my friend? Or both? Any help would be appreciated.
TheKodachromeKid

Each PC must have its own Zone Alarm,The trusted Zone is for the home network only when you will not access the web ,
nightowl17

Thank you -- that's what I thought, but my friend's configuration confused me enough so I thought it better to make sure he was doing it wrong. Guess he, is after all.

Hi,

if your router supports firewall functionality, you can use it (if sufficient) instead of ZA installed on each pc. Another way maybe to use a linux system with firewall (ipchains) as a gateway.

Regards,
Rainer

I have a LinkSys 4-port router; does this have enough firewall built in for us to eliminate ZoneAlarm? Several of our systems are having problems that go away when we turn off ZoneAlarm.
Thanks, Laura Velez, MCP
lauravelez@charter.net

Hi Laura,

if it is the LinkSys BEFSR41 ADSL router, the firewall functionality is not enough:

- no packet filtering
- no content filtering

Regards,

Rainer

That is exactly what we have, so I guess we'll keep on living with ZoneAlarm Pro, and Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Pro. Ver 3.whatever of ZA doesn't even really like Windows 98. Hubby is having intermittant problems.

Thank you very much.
Laura Laura Velez, MCP
lauravelez@charter.net

Laura, my network has three pc's one with win98, another with win2000 and the third with winXP on a 8 port switching hub, All with ZoneAlarm PRO. They are working fine in internet as well as in file and Printer sharing. The trick is to play with the firewall settings. Medium for both internet and Trusted zones is working in my network. I turned off windows XP native firewall.

Regards
Roberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back