Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trust relationships 2003k & 2000k

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokitman1

Technical User
Oct 27, 2004
GB
Hi

I need to setup a trust between a new Windows 2003 terminal server and a remote office windows 2000 server for client file sharing,they are connected by a permanent WAN link over two DSL routers, whats the best way to do it?
I ahve not built the W2000 server yet, I could keep it in a workgroup? or create a new domain? could I join the W2003 domain over a wan DSL link?

thanks

Rokitman1
"The Problem Exists Between The Chair And The Keyboard" :)

You probably want to have the file shares local to the TS rather than over the WAN link. How big / much data are we talking about here? If you do set it up the way you are thinking not only will data sharing be slow, TS users will struggle too.

If you are a smaller size network you should look to a single domain which would not require trusts. Create separate sites within windows relative to the subnets of each office. This will simplify the admin. You want all PC's (especially servers) to be members of the domain to also simplify and provide security.

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

I am installing a windows 2003 small business server and need to join a 2000 server as a member to the domain. I thought I read somewhere that for 2003 SBS to have members, not AD, they have to be 2003 Server. Can anyone verify that for me. Thanks!

Ok, I will try adding the newly rebuilt w2k server to the remote domain via the WAN as a member server and see how it goes, I just was not sure if I could actually run the dcpromo and joinn the exaiting domain via a wan (VPN) router to router link

Rokitman1
"The Problem Exists Between The Chair And The Keyboard" :)

To install a domain controller over a WAN link use this very cool method. Create a System State backup of the existing DC and burn to a CD.

Then, send this CD to the remote site and run DCpromo /adv to give you the options to install DC from other location (i.e. the cd or local site folder). Because the System State backup of a DC includes all the AD goodies, you now have a 'full replication' without the network traffic and time issues. The below link explains this in a bit of detail and should point you in the right direction.

This explains it in a bit more detail

**It is very important that your backup keeps the folder structure. If not, the dcpromo will not work.**

If you are using SBS server, you can only add member servers. Not DC's. That is the limit of SBS. These member servers can be Win2k, it shouldn't matter.

The thing about not adding a Win2k member server to a Win2k3 domain is not a problem. It is more focused on the 'Domain Functional Level'. If you have a Win2k3 DFL, then you cannot ad Win2k domain controllers.

To install a domain contro

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back