Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trust Between two NT Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimi33

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
Having a problem creating a trust.
Domain A: has a pdc with wins running on it.
Domain B: has a pdc and a seperate Wins server.

when trying to establish a trust, they succeed but i get a "can not find a domain controller" I've added static routes in Wins and even in an LMhost file. When i do a nbtstat -c i see their Wins server but still unable to connect. Any suggest or a good website to help with trusting relationships.

thanks
Jim

Need a little more info:
Are the WINS servers multi-homed?
Do the WINS server point to their own IP address for both Primary and Secondary WINS servers?
Also, why setup static routes?
Are the WINS server on different subnets? (I assume they are since you have 2 different servers.)

bare with me. i'm kinda new at all this. Not sure what you mean by the wins server being multi-homed. DOMAIN B is connected by a private tunnel. DOMAIN B and DOMAIN A are on completly different subnets. What happen was we were two companies that joined as one. We created a connection bewteen us on a dsl (pix to pix). now he can ping my internal ips and i can ping his. now if he gives me his login, i can log into their server. but what we want to do is create a trust between their pdc and ours. my pdc is also my Wins server. In wins, it points to it'self as primary and the secondary is pointing to my BDC.

ok.. i just changed the primary and secondary to just one address "it's self".... Rebooting it now. no there is no firewall and no it's not multi homing....

When i do an nbtstat -c
i see his "domain name" under group and
his wins servers under unique.

but still when i try to establish a trust i am still unable to find a domain controler.

Run BROWMON from each domain's PDC. Add in both DOMAIN A and DOMAIN B on both servers and verify that the server is the MASTER Browser. (It actually should be the Domain Master Browser). Make sure browser traffic is being passed by the router at each site.

I assumed that you are trying to establish a two-way trust. Can you setup a one-way trust OK? If so, check your router between the two sites for this:
Also, are there any Event ID's logged in the Event viewer of either server when you try to setup the trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back