Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trunking problem, no shutt not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugenewg

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2002
CA
I have a rather unsual problem. I'm trying to configure port grouping for a trunk between 2 cisco catalyst 2924 XL series using 2 cat5 cables. I have used the following commands

configure terminal
interface fa0/24
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk encapsulation isl
no shut

I have used thoses commands on both switches for ports 23 and 24. One of the problems lie when i type no shut on the particular interface,

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/24, changed to up
%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/24, changed to down

I was also wondering how would I be able to test the the trunk between the two switches when it finally does work.

I greatly appreciate everyones help, thanx :)

Eugene Hercun

Are you using crossover cables? I have two 2924xl's set up with a single trunk port on each the same way except I'm using dot1q and it works. If you are using a crossover between the switches and still not bringing up the interfaces, set the ports back to access mode and see if you can get them to come up that way first.

Are ports 23 & 24 plugged into the same switch? If the they are they part of an etherchannel port group?

If they are both going into the same switch w/o a port group, then the switch is behaving correctly because there is a loop. Spanning-tree will put one of the ports into blocking mode while the other is in forwarding mode.

stupid me somehow forgot that I needed cross over cables. I have no idea how i forgot that i needed that, but anyway, i still greatly appreciate everyones help. Thanx :)

Eugene Hercun

hello,

I setup port grouping on both switches. Both interfaces are up, but how would I go about testing the link to see if it works? I COULD put a computer on each switch and ping it, but how do I know that theres load balancing happening between the two links?
Thanx again :)

Eugene Hercun

Show commands, Eugene. Show commands. Consider a show interfaces command or something, specifically.

do you mean to show you the screen output when I type the show interface commands?
I always use the show commands after i configure any interface.
I used the following command to check the certain interfaces

sh int fa0/24 switchport

It had a bunch of information about the interface being a trunk. I then performed that same command for the other interfaces and the other switch.

Is that all the confirmation that I need in order to know that it works?

Thanx

Does the show command output include load-sharing information?

I found some links on Cisco.com, but skimming through them didn't yield much in way of results. You may want to search there, and check your instruction manuals :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back