Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trunking between a nortel 1020 and Nortel 5520

Status
Not open for further replies.

mando1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
US
Have a unique and perplexing problem. In a new install of a CS 1000E we have mostly 5520 switces, but one small segment has a Nortel BES 1020 with a few IP phones on it. We can call intercom to intercom without problems from the IP phones on the 1020, but as soon as we hit the media gateway to the pri or to dial to call pilo call sets up and connects but no audio passes. There are are 2 vlans data and voice. No comes teh most perplexing fact, I put a 3 com layer 2 switch on that segment with tagging enabled on the voice vlan pots and it works just fine. we think that is an issue with 801 q tagging not supported on the BES 10220 ? But mostly have been mystified. Anybody succesfully used these two products together ?

I would check to see if you can ping the VGMC from the IP phone. If you can't ping it you're going to have some type of data networking problem.

Cheers!

Thanks, for the tip. When I repalce the BES 1020 with 3 com switch in the same ports I get to all services correctly and am able to make calls normally out the pri. I replace the switch with the 1020 no audio no call pilot, but the call signaling works and the numbers are dialed and ring, but when answered no audio either way. Yet intercom calls work ok in the system on either switch. Nortel BES 1020 is a layer 2 swicth and no routing is possible or programmed. The tagging function for the voice vlan appears identical with the 3com and the Nortel switch but it almost seems that the tagging is being striped off at some point (with the Nortel), though the phones register, they set up the call and it rings out the pri but no audio goes either way. I have seen this on ip trunks with mismatched codecs, but never off a pri. Stumped.

The rest of the switches are nortel 5520's with one enabled for routing to the vlan. They are all working ok, the only one that does not play nice is the BES 1020, yet another brand, 3c0m 2924pwr works fine on the same segment, go figure.

mando1
I have BES1020 in my site and it is working fine.
Did you enable egrees tagging on BES1020 ports to support multiple VLAN id's?
You need to setup a trunk port on BES1020 to your 5520 or core switch and create subinterfaces with dot1q enabled for each vlan created on BES1020.
Make sure that the routing is enabled between those interfaces. I had the same issue where there was no voice but I was able to make calls.

Thanks for your reply. Egress tagging is turned on on the 1020, The 5520 is acting as the core switch routing is enabled and 6 other 5520 have a trunk port setup to the core and are working perfectly. We have full dhcp working with the custom scope to correctly switch to correct vlan. The prolem I am having with the 1020 is where to set up a trunk port, on the 5520 you select either access or trunk as a type in the vlan section, there is no setting I can find on the 1020 that is equivalent. As I have stated the 3com switch on that segement works perectly routing the calls and passing audio. I know it is some setting on the 1020 that I am missing or am unaware of. Since you have 1020's working, any insight on how I setup a trunk port on the 1020 rather than a access port on the uplink?

mando1

There is no option to create a trunk port on the BES1020. What they mean that you enable egrees tagging on the ports and make one of the them a trunk port.

This is what I do on my BES1020 site:
I've defined two vlan's, lets say
VLAN 100 data
VLAN 101 voice
all ports are members of data vlan 100
ports 1-25 are members of both voice vlan 101 and data vlan 100
vlan 100 is my management vlan
vlan 100 is my default vlan with exception to port 25 which is a trunk/uplink port to my core and voice vlan is the default

On the core I've defined two tagged interfaces and I guess you can do that with ERS5520
Here's an example of the config I'm using

interface ethernet 0
encapsulation dot1q 101
ip address 10.101.1.1/16

interface ethernet 0.1
encapsulation dot1q 100
ip address 10.100.1.1/16

each vlan must be fully routed as a sub-interface

Hope this helps

Thanks the only differnce from my config to yours is that the default vlan for the uplink port was the data vlan (1 for me) rather than the voice vlan. I will reconfigure the 1020 with that in mind and see what happens. Thanks much !!!

Ah One more question, how do you chnage the default vlan on the 1020 port? There is no way to change it that I can see. I tried deleting it out of both vlans and readding it in, but it hangs on to the defalut valn of 1?

Well I was able to change the default vlan on the "trunk" port on the 1020 to the voice vlan, but it made no difference in the performance of the swicth in our environmnet, I still can make a call out the pri to a number, it calls and answers but no audio is passed either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back