Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunk on 4400

Status
Not open for further replies.

markru

Technical User
Apr 20, 2004
GB
Hi All

I understand the usage of vlan and trunks I just need some help on how to config them. I'm not familiar with the 3com cli. ( give me a cisco box any day :)

So how do I setup a port to be a trunk? And allow it to carry tagged packets for 2 vlans.. The vlan are created Yep i mangaed to find that command....

TIA

Mark

VLAN 1 should be untagged on the uplink port. The other VLAN(s) should be tagged on the uplink port. The other VLAN(s) should be set to untagged on the ports where the devices will be plugged into.

Hope this helps!

Rather than "Trunks" you might like to consider LACP. This allows you to provide multiple connection between two switches for increased capacity and rundundency.

Decide which ports (each end of the link) you are going to use for interconnect, enable LACP Admin state on the appropriate number of LACP links, enable LACP on the ports, add ports and LACP's to required VLAN with VLAN tagging enabled (can't do this through web - must use telnet I/F) connect ethernet cables and that should be it.

Try it in a test environment first though and I'd suggest you upgrade to a 3.23 firmware as it does LAPC much better than some earlier ones.

Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back