Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunk link on an ARN

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeighH

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
GB
All,

How would I go about configuring an ARN to act as a trunk link to provide interVLAN rouing for my 450 switch?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers
LH

This is really only possible if you have two ethernet ports on your ARN, if you only have one you can purchase an additional module to fit into the expansion module.

Assuming you have two , configure the IP address of the subnets you want on each interface and then plug a patch cable into each Vlan e.g I/F 1 => VLAN 1 , I/F 2 => Vlan 2

However as the 450 only supports one default gateway you will only be able to manage it from the VLan you assign to be the management Vlan.

Hope this helps..any questions reply back

Sorry .. forget to add this..

Unless you have a L3 switch which will route internally between Vlans, for every Vlan you have configured on th eswitch you will need a separate router interface.

Although its possible to multi-net an single interface (that is apply more than one IP address to an interface) if you are connecting to a Vlan switch then you need separate connections from the router to the switch as broadcasts from one vlan only remain in that Vlan therefore you need a router to route between them.

Therfore depending on how many Vlans you have and how many users on that Vlan, you may want to consider buying a l3 switch to act as a gateway, something like the passport 8003, this way you avoid the latency of traffic passing from a switch to a normal router and then back out to a switch again. Also you can utilse functions such as Multi-link trunking and Vlan tagging.

It is possible to set up a single 100Mbps Ethernet port as a trunk port for use with 802.1q tagging since release 15 of the BayRS software.

Chapter 5 of the Configuring Ethernet, FDDI and Token Ring Services version 15.0 explains how to do it.

Regards,

Cornet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back