Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunk Definition (I think) driving me CRAZY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZOldDog

Technical User
Dec 19, 2009
US
Got all of the missing manuals and our new provider brings in the lines for the transition period. They are a cable company and are providing dial tone via Arris Telephony Adapters (multiple).

I can get no info from them on how the lines present other than "Regular old POTS lines."

So I try to program a trunk as a COT ( something I have NEVER done) and come up with the following.

TN 016 0 00 00
TYPE COT
CDEN 8D
CUST 0
XTRK EXUT
FWTM NO
TIMP 600
BIMP 600
AUTO_BIMP NO
TRK ANLG
NCOS 0
RTMB 2 1
NITE
SIGL LOP
SUPN NO
AST NO
IAPG 0
CLS UNR DIP CND WTA LPR APN THFD
P10 NTC LOL
TKID
DATE 27 DEC 2012

Now I know I have an XUT card but LD 14 will not let me define the trunk as that it insists on EXUT.

I can have my test set on the pair just as it enters the switch and I can send and receive calls from the set but, the switch will not respond to the ring tone!

Any idea what I am doing wrong? This setup worked with every other brand of switch or PBX I have worked with!

Mike

If you do not have a big M2250 Attendant Console phone (Operator phone), you will want to respond to the Trunk TN "Nite". For the test, set the Nite as your own extension or something.

A PBX without a console is always in Nite mode.

Ask the vendor if the lines are Ground Start or Loop start. You are programmed a LOP (Loop). Set SIGL to GND if they are Ground Start

Also, set the CLS of the trunk to DTN (replaces DIP)

~~
Gene at GHTROUT.com

Check the line voltage at the isolation point. Nortel doesn't like less than about 32V DC or so... preferably higher.

I tried all of the suggestions above to no avail. I contacted a Tech Support Level 3 Rep and the reason everyone kept saying "Just POTS line" is because in fact that is what they are plain old POTS lines.

I have no idea of how to tie one of those into an 11 C even with an XUT card. I can figure out no trunk definition that would fit them.

Any ideas or is my Battleship sunk?

I want to bring it in and ring on a set also be available for dial out! New Carrier cannot get a PRI to our location so I am stuck with 22 POTS Lines!

Old Dog

You can not use POTS for dial out due to disconnect issues. You need to have Gound start COT's and DID COT's. You can use POTS for Auto Terminating to specific DN's on the PBX. GHTROUT has all the NTP's on his site.

I have lots of loop start POTS that can be used for outgoing. You do not need Ground Start, but I think it is a good idea.

~~
Gene at GHTROUT.com

Gene, how did you get the switch to recognize a POTS line. I cannot get a UXT to even pick up the ring.

Old Dog

First test is to run one of there lines to a plain telephone and make sure you can dial out and receive a call. If you can, they are ready for the PBX.

Did you really set the NITE DN on the trunk TN? If not, the lines will have no place to ring.

~~
Gene at GHTROUT.com

Lines dial and receive on a butt set attached to the input field of the switch. I will try setting the nite TN as I have not tried that.

Old Dog

Make sure you have set your RLI to pick your route in ld 86.

Strange, I did the same procedure (NITE to a DN) on two numbers on Trunk 16 0 and 16 1. Trunk def in LD 14 is identical except for the NITE DN. 16 0 rings thru to the DN and 16 1 does not?

Would the RLI affect that?

You have given a print of the trunk, but not the route. In the route, in part, is the way the line works.... IAO = in AND out. Have you checked that?

POTS can be used for both incoming and outgoing. The big issue is that if you have an unsupervised line (ie: loop start, not ground start)then you MUST NOT allow any form of trunk to trunk transfer. The reason being that as there is no supervision, they will lock up for ever and a day.

As stated above, you need to set the NITE parameter for the trunk to terminate to a valid destination.

Do a print of Rt 2. You also need to check the IDC parameter. If set to YES, then you will need values in the DCNO (Day) and NDNO (Night). There will be an asterisk next to one of them. That is what is active. From there you need to check the LD 49 IDC tables.

I wish there was someway that I could star everyone who chipped in on this problem. I now have ringing telephones and the boss is happy!

It was a little bit from everyone who chipped in here that got this fixed. I also now know more about bringing COT lines into an 11C than I think I ever wanted to know.

Once again I wish to thank everyone who helped!

Old Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back