Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunk between a Cisco 6509 and a 3Com 3300 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joysa

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2000
US
I'm trying to trunk (802.1Q) between a Cisco 6509 and a 3Com super stackII 3300 switch, but it doesn't work. I created vlans in the 3300 and added ports to the vlans. Also I configured one port for the trunk. In the 6509 running NATIVE IOS, I configured one port in the 6509 for the trunk and added secondary addresses for each vlan in the 3300. This configuration is not routing. Any help will be appreciated.

thank

I would guess the secondary IPs might be your headache.. I have a CAT4006 talking to a stack of 3900s using 802.1Q without a problem.. aside from the Cisco can not manage the 3com VLANS :(

MikeS "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I'm having problems configuring the vlans in the 3300. First I created the trunk and I assigned a port to it (port 25). Then I created three vlans (vlans 2,3,4) and added port s to the vlans with 802.1q tag. My question is: Do I have to assign the trunk port as a member of vlans 2,3,4? Also, It seems that the only way I can ping within the same vlan is if I the don't configure the ports as 802.1q? Do the ports in the vlans have to be a member of the default vlan1?

Thanks

Here are some notes from 3Com... one thing to try is OPEN mode on your vlans instead of Closed.

MikeS

--------------------------------------

How to create a Trunk between a Switch 3900 and a Switch 1100 or Switch 3300

Fact Superstack II Switch 3900

Fact Superstack II Switch 3300

Fact Superstack II Switch 1100

Symptom Trunk does not work

Symptom Port Trunking is not working

Fact The SSII Switch 3900 has the TCMP (Trunk Control Message Protocol) enabled by default.
What is Trunk Control Message Protocol? (Please refer to the solution: ID. 24.0.120906.1564602)
NOTE: It is recommended to leave TCMP enabled when trunking with another Switch 3900.

Fact The SSII Switch 1100/3300 does not support TCMP

Fix To create a Trunk between a Switch 3900 and a Switch 1100 or Switch 3300, follow those steps
1) Open a Hyperterminal session, log in as "administer", and from the "Menu Options" enter the command:
- bridge trunk modify
2) Enter the information associated with the trunk. (Press Enter to accept the existing value in brackets).
3) Enter the name of the trunk. The name can contain up to 16 characters.
4) Specify whether TCMP is enabled or disabled. The system default is enabled.
Choose "disabled"
5) Select the port type.
6) Specify the ports that generate the trunk. The maximum number of ports per trunk is eight.
WARNING: If you add or remove a port, the system requests a reboot to implement the change.
7) Select the trunk mode.
You can choose 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 1000 Mbps running in half-duplex or full-duplex mode. All ports in the trunk will be set to this type.
8) If you added or removed a port in step 5, the system displays a reboot prompt.
-Enter "y" (yes) to reboot the system and implement the trunk changes or "n" (no) to return to the previous menu.
-Entering "n" (no) cancels the trunk changes.

Example:
- Enter trunk index [1]:
- Enter trunk name [CampusLink]:
- Enter TCMP state (disabled,enabled) [disabled]:
- Select mac type [Fast Ethernet,Gigabit Ethernet]:
- Select up to 6 mac(s) (1-18|all) [1-4]: 1-3
- Enter mac mode {10half,10full,100half,100full} [100full]:
- The system must be rebooted to complete trunk configuration
- Are you sure you want to reboot the system? (n,y) [y]:
- Type "y" or press Enter to reboot the system

Fact Search group - SuperStack II Switches

How to use 802.1q VLAN Tagging

Fact SuperStack II SWITCH 3900

Fact SuperStack II Switch 9300

Fact CoreBuilder 3500

Fact 802.1q

Fact VLAN

Fix On a point to point link between switches that support 802.1q VLAN tagging there can be only 1 untagged VLAN going across this link. If we wish for more VLANs to use this link (the link can be a single port or a Trunk group) then when we define the VLAN we also turn on 802.1q tagging on the port (or trunk) that is the point to point link between switches.

Fix As long as the VLAN ID is the same on all of the switches interconnected by the point to point links, the VLAN will span all of the participating switches and traffic will bridge to all ports that are a member of the VLAN ID specified in the VLAN definition so in this way we can have an IP Subnet that is in multiple switches on specific ports.

Since by default the VLAN ID of the default VLAN is 1 and since there can be a single untagged VLAN going across the link between switches, the default vlan is usually the single untagged VLAN going across this link unless the person configuring the switches removes the default VLAN.

This is why when you define a second vlan and attempt to include the port that interconnects the switches you get an Error Message : Could not create VLAN - Port tag mode is in conflict with another VLAN

To correct this problem you re-create the vlan and answer yes when promped to configure per port tagging and then apply the 802.1q tag to the port (or trunk) that is the link between switches.

Fact Search group - CoreBuilder 3500 Family

Symptom Trunking not functioning

Cause There is a known problem with configuration of Vlans and tagging in the closed mode. If using closed Vlans with tagging, it is recommended to use either spanning tree protocol or TCMP, a default-vlan is required. A default-vlan is one that spans all ports and is untagged. By adding the tag to the trunk port in the Vlan named "default" the real default-vlan name was changed to something else.

Fix This problem will be fixed in the software version 2.0

Support for 802.1Q and 802.1P in the switch?

Fact SuperStack II Switch 1100

Fact SuperStack II Switch 3300

Symptom Unable to do 802.1P Trunking on the switch

Symptom Unable to do 802.1Q VLAN standard protocol

Cause Earlier versions of the firmware did not support 802.1P and 802.1Q

Fix Upgrade the switch(s) to version 2.0 or higher and enable 802.1P and 802.1Q features. Refer to the management guide for the revision firmware in use.

Note:
There are some common configuration considerations when using 802.1P and 802.1Q on the 1100/3300 switches, as follows:

1. The 1100/3300 does not support TCMP - turn it off, if on, at the other end
2. Must have version 2.0 or later firmware installed
3. The implementation does not support: TCMP, Security, VLT, Resilient links, or roving analysis
4. Permanent entry in the Switch database are no longer possible when 802.1P and 802.1Q are in use
5. Trunking must be from the same switch in the stack, not two or more different switches
6. Trunked ports can only belong to one trunk at a time
7. Port trunks must be either fiber or twisted pair
8. Port trunks must have the same speed and duplex port settings - the only exception is that if ports of a different speed are trunked together the higher speed links carry the traffic and the slower will only carry traffic if the faster one fails.

"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back