Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunk (aggregated Link ) 9300 to 4924 via SX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eunuch

Technical User
Jan 2, 2004
CA
I have a 4924 with the 4-port SX module (3C17710). I want to make a 2-port aggregated link to a 9300 (3C93012). I had a similar trunk between 9300 and 3900 but this new 4924 switch doesn't like my attempts. I have tried enabled/disabled combinations of LACP, manual config, STP. I get no link lights at the 4924. I can't visually inspect the 9300 but it connects OK using a single port. Any ideas?

The 9300 did not support LACP (Link aggregation protocol) as the standard was not ratified when the last version of code was released. The 4924 does not support the VLT 3Com proprietary trunking mechanism (this was quietly dropped when the standards based LACP was adopted) So I can see no easy way to aggregate this link.

This should work ok, disable LACP on the 4924 ports that you are using and set up a standard link aggregation. On the 9300 create your trunk but DO NOT use TCMP as the trunking protocol.

Thanks for the tips.

I tried creating the 9300 Trunk from scratch, disabling TCMP. On the 4924 I tried every combination that I could conjure up. STP is disabled on both devices. No luck. Any other thoughts?

The other thing to try out is the port capabilities. The 4924 can autonegotiate at 10/100/1000. Go in the ethernet options and disable autonegotiation and set the port capablities to only advertise at 1000Full duplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back