Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truncated Excel Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnzbra

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
US
I am trying to bring in data from an Excel spreadsheet. I've been using the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard and that seems to have been working. However, while checking something else, I noticed that any long entries are truncated at 255 characters. I've tried changing the Excel column involved to TEXT, but that didn't help. I then tried setting it up as a linked server but the results are the same. By the way, these spreadsheets don't have a header row, so the columns coming in are F1, F2, etc.

While I could set a size limit on the column in the Excel spreadsheet, I've found that that doesn't work if the use pastes the value into the cell. Also, there are a lot of these blank spreadsheets out there in various stages of completion, so replacing them wouldn't be an option.

How can I import spreadsheets with long strings without having them truncated at 255 characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back