Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

truncated errordescription in sysdtssteplog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hablaras

Programmer
Oct 10, 2003
NL
Hi,

A dts package can log errors per step to the sysdtssteplog table. An error description can be found in the errordescription field.

HOWEVER, this message is maximum 256 characters long, while the datatype is nvarchar(2000). Some descriptions are truncated, while I need the entire message.

Any ideas how to get the full description (more then 256 characters) in that field? Importing it from the error textfile has no preference.

Thanks in advance,

gr.,

Hablaras

Not sure how to change that field length and since it is a system table you should AVOID touching it. I would suggect that you turn on logging for your package. You can do this my opening you DTS package and from the menu bar choose ...

Package..Properties..Logging and under error log, set a text file up to capture your packages execution.

Thanks

J. Kusch

That is what I meant with "error textfile". Not the most accurate terminology from my side.

Thanks anyway, guess it is the only solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back