Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

True Bandwith Test? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkeeper

MIS
Jul 19, 2000
US
What is the best way to test or measure your network bandwith. Should I use a Sniffer, where do I start.

What is wanted is how much bandwith is being used at a remote location.?

-James

Using a sniffer to count packets probably would be the most accurate way. I don't know if this means it is the best however.

To do so you need to capture the packets by either using a network tap or configure a switch to to SPAN or switch port analyzer which cc's packets to a designated port.

Other means include Rmon data collection by an SNMP poller (Openview, Bigbrother, MTRG, etc.) If you want down and dirty (I mean cheap and easy) Use Solarwind's Advanced Bandwidth Monitor included in their Professional Plud Edition Suite.

You can also use the Netflow accounting ability (EARL) of some higher end devices. ----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

I would go for mrtg. It' in myp opinion the best for this purpose, and it's even free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back