Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truble installing RedHat Linux 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gireeshnemath

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
IN
Hi Frieds,
I've got a 3 CD pack of RedHat linux 8.0 along with a text book(RedHat Linux 8.0 Bible) When I started installing it, just after the mediacheck, my monitor went blank and installation discontinued. This is just after the installation software(python)is loaded. I use an AMD athlon XP system(1.7 GHZ, 256 MB RAM )with Asus Motherboard. It detects the display card correctly. Please help me by informing the cause of this malfunction.

NB: The same CD works perfect with my friend's system

I had a similar problem with RH 8.0 and a Compaq server.

The app anaconda probes hardware to detect what is installed. On some hardware, particularly NICs, it seems to die. On the Compaq server, it was an NIC built into the motherboard -- disabling that NIC got the system up and running. Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

Thank u for ur suggestion, dear sleipnir214,
I've checked the motherboard manual to see wheather there is any built-in NIC is present and couldn't find one( I'm not much proficient in hardware parts-My mother board is Asus A7N266-VM with nVidia 220D GeForce MX integreted North bridge chipset and nVidia nForce MCP-D integrated southbridge chipset.)

Will it be any problem of drivers? if so, please tell me how to solve it.

You haven't provided much information. There are many reasons why a video driver may crash.

Try installing just the core components of the system. Don't install the additional applications until after your core system is up and running.

Detailed documentation at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back