Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troublesome computer issue:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookies2100

Technical User
May 28, 2003
US
After waking up this morning, I turned on my computer as I alwasy do. I went to go make breakfast, came back 15 minutes later and my computer was off. I tried to turn it back on wouldnt work. Attempted plugging it in somewhere else didnt work. I figured it was my power supply. So I put a different power supply in, and my computer will turn on, show a black screen and restart every 10 seconds..I have no idea what the problem could be. The only problems that I've had with my computer in the past is the cpu frequency settings randomly being reset and the case fans giving out on me... Any help would be appreciated.

How does the power rating on the first supply compare to the second one? Try without any of the drives attached/powered.

What kind of motherboard/cpu?

Do you have another CMOS battery you can swap out with the existing one?

I have a really bad motherboard, low-end (as I didnt know any better before buying it), made by Elitegroup, model number K7S5A, with an Athlon 1.4 chip in it. I dont have another CMOS battery that I can swap out atm, nor do I have the other power supply that I tried for reference, though I think the power supply that I tried using was 350 watt. The one that is probably broken is 350 watt as well.

I just checked my ram on my other computer and it works perfectly, so I'm hoping that's a good sign that neither my video card, hard drives, nor disk drives are broken.

PSU's do have a habbit of "taking other components with them" when they blow, typically CDroms/writers etc and hard drives sometimes even the motherboard it'self.
Thing to do is pull off everything, just leave the motherboard with the main power connector, graphics card, 1 stick of memory, CPU/heatsink/fan.
This way if it doesn't boot there is only four things it can be:
PSU
CPU
Graphics
Memory
Clear the cmos first, you may find that it posts (fingers crossed) and you can start connecting things back up again one by one.
As I said if you now have a known good power supply, CDroms and HD's are prime suspect after a PSU pop followed by the motherboard. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Well since I checked my memory in another computer, im assuming that it's fine. Typically, I've heard, that's the first to go when something happens to your computer. If I had a good power supply w/me I'd be able to test my componants 1 by 1, but I dont it's at my friends and I'll have to wait until this weekend.

BTW, any suggestions on power supply brands, etc?

I use to be an Enermax fan, but they're still pretty pricey and quality of late has been spotty. Avoid their low-priced 'value' models. Antec's TruePower series has been talked up lately and certainly is good, but you'll pay for it. There are no 'bargains' when buying new, so keep away from cheap, no-names touting unusually high ratings. If you're planning on upgrading as time goes on, keep in mind that the newer 2+Ghz processors and 10K drives suck up a lot of power. You would want something like 440W minimum but more is better.

If your not sure of exactly if or which series of upgrades you'll be considering in the future and your cash is limited, then I wouldn't plow too much $$ into a top of the line supply just yet. Pick up a used 375W+ and use the money you save to upgrade motherboards.

Well, I havent really looked at cases/power supplies just yet, but I know that I'll eventually end up with a full atx case with at least a 400 watt power supply. Currently, for mobo/processer, I'm looking at that motherboard w/the athlon xp2600 chip, and gonna buy new ram too, the 512MB OCZ PC3200 DDR400 Rev 2. Dont know if that's good, but it seems to me like a good deal. :)

Would it be a good sign that most of my computer was left unaffected if my ram is still in good shape? Or can I not tell from that? I genuinely hope that a. my video card and b. my new hard drive are both in working order, as I just bought them in the last few months =).

Hola,

did you check your CPU Heatsink? if the fan is plugged in correctly? is it spinning?

... and a note on the side - if RAM works in another PC it doesn't necessarily mean that it's good on yours... Had that happen to me - worked for 5 min and then it locked up put the stick in my friends Compaq and it didn't lock up?!?

Ben

Can't tell much from the RAM alone, cookies2100. Even if the RAM was blown, I wouldn't necessarily suspect the video card or drives went too. This is even *if* the PSU was actually the problem, and that's not clear yet. You can always test the video card and drive in someone else's machine to be sure.

Are you sure it didnt power up simply because you unplugged the PSU from the motherhboard when you swapped it out?

It may well just be the MB that is toasted.

I didnt make any changes to my computer before it didnt power up. When I hooked a different power supply up, my cpu fan would spin, my computer would be on for like 5-10 seconds and restart, before showing anything on the monitor. What I'm planning on doing is testing my video card and both hard drives in a friends computer later this weekend, in hopes that they work properly. Still have no idea how a power supply could just go bad randomly while my computer is on, or if there was some cause to it, as I wasnt there when my computer initially stopped working.

Could it be possible that one of my case fans had something restricting it from spinning, begging more and more power from my power supply until it eventually quit out on me? I've only had the computer for a year and a half, even cheap brands usually last longer than that! =)

And, Grenage, I really do hope that it's just the MB that's toasted...and so far that seems to be the best guess I have.

I wish I had more information to help you guys help me determine the problem, but I dont atm...After I test my other componants, I'll post the results.

Cookies - it could well damn be that your Heatsink fan is toast... which by the way most Mobos wont post at all... just spin up the fans and drives and nothing else... like I said before check if it just didn't get loose on ya or the connector to the MoBo...

just a thought worth checking...

Ben

I'll check that as well once I have a chance...I really wish that I had that extra power supply with me, but it's at my friends house >.<

Thanks!

On the side... the problem could also just well be a damaged IDE cable... guess what that is what happened to me just today... luckily I had another IDE cable on hand that worked...

Ben

hmm, i dont know how a damaged IDE cable would kill my entire comp like that, though im not anywhere near a computer expert...if it's possible, could you outline how a damage IDE cable could affect my computer so greatly? (I have a few extras from hdds i've bought =p)

Hi Cookies - the cable could, if damaged, shorten out making the computer think that there is a problem which it in turn doesn't let it finish its POST or even start...

and thrust me I'm far from an expert, I just mess around with computers for ca 21 yrs (though 19 yrs with other systems than IBM compatibles)...

the best way to test this is to unplug all of your drives from the mainboard and try to power up, if it posts than you have naworred it down to either IDE cable or Drives...

Ben

Have another look at Martin's suggestion.

By the way, his comments that, among other things it might be the memory were (I assume) only to show that if there are only four things in there it has to be one of the four.

He only includes the memory - even though if you tested it on another PC and found it okay would seem to indicate that it is okay - because you can't do the test without memory.

Those four components are the bare minimum that will boot a PC and give you text on screen.

I would add that if it works with this you should then reinsert the removed components one at a time and when your problem reoccurs that should be the suspect component. Replace it and see what happens.

By the way, I have the exact same motherboard and have no problems. Mind you, I only run a Duron 950, but with a good heatsink/fan, 2 system fans and an Antec power supply (400W) in a whopping Antec SX640case. I don't recommend the case but I do recommend the power supply. The case is a monster but too heavy and could do with another large 5.25 slot at the front. Antec are famous for their power supplies.

Never economise on the power supply. When you get a cheap case you are getting an extremely cheap power supply if it's included.

If I was doing this again I'd get the same stuff except for the case. That would be a Lian Li aluminium. With, of course, the same Antec Power supply.

Dermot

Hehe, I think it's been drilled into my mind to get nothing less than a 400w Antec power supply. =)

I guess my motherboard just hates me, probably 30 times in the year and a half that I've had it, the cpu settings in my bios would be reset to default >.<

Does it matter if I get a Full ATX or a Mid ATX case, as long as it's aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back