Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubleshooting throughput performace issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansimmo

Technical User
Jul 8, 2008
GB
Hello,

I have recently reinstalled Arcserve on a HP LP 2000r Win 2003 server.

Arcserve is running SP1 (and yes I need to patch to SP4)and attached is an HP Ultrium LTO1 Tape Autoloader 1/9 running direct back ups from about 9 servers. They are all on a Gigabit network so am I right in ruling out network issues?

The throughput for all the servers is around 500MB/minute which seems slow to me (about the same to disk). This isn't a problem for most jobs but one job backs up over a million files (approx 400GB) and takes 14 hours (I know that more files deteriates the throughput speed). All of the jobs are multiplexed. I have tried to set the prioirty of each client to low, medium and high without any changes. Also, I have regularly monitored the performance of the main file server (mentioned above) and the back up server but there aren't any issues there.

Without attaching a tape drive directly to the file server what else can I try to increase the performance of the backup schedule?

To add a twist to this I'm also looking at upgrading and would also appreciate any comments on new solutions based on 700GB of network data on our network - may be d2d2t? Obviously I need to establish what is wrong the the current set up.

Hi ,

Please run the followign tests :

1) test backups trying different values for the Job Engine buffers.Try to Increase the buffer size in the server admin to 512 and see how it goes .

2) ARCserve Copy job of same data from target to local system

3) Copy via NT OS of same data.

This will let you know the exact performance

cheers

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back