Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

troubleshooting 'out of licenses' problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrenzo

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a problem. Over the past few days (coincidence or not that I recently applied security patch MS05-10) I have had to continually add licenses as I am getting messages in my event viewer stating that I have run out. When this happens our users cannot connect to network resources.
I have gone from using 200 licenses in Per Seat to 1500 in the past couple of days, so it is clear that something is far wrong. Even as I type this in License manager I can see that I am currently using 1435 - there are only 100 users on this site!!!

My question really is this: how do I go about troubleshooting this problem? How can I find out what is using up all these connections? We use and update McAfee 7 religiously on all machines so I'd be surprised if it was viral.

Can anybody help me, I rekon I'll be using about 5000 licenses by the end of the week!!

- Darren

I'd simply disable the licensing service, if I were you.

I already done that earlier today, after increasing the number of licenses to 2500, when the 1500 limit was breached.
This of course does not help me to discover what is causing the problem.
I am getting an Event 201 being generated. The product out of licenses is SMB Server 4.0 (???).

Any clues, anyone?

License Manager is buggy. It has always been buggy since it was first. It cannot count. MS have never fixed it, and they are never going to now. Disabling the service off kindly puts it out of its misery and eliminates the errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back