Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

troubleshooting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsherman

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2005
US
I have a server that has been fairly stable (one other problem in the last 2 months, but I know what caused it) last Friday around 1 PM the server became unavailable but no alarms were sent by any of my monitoring tools until 7 pm. As a result the server was inoperable all weekend until I came in on Monday and hard booted the server. The application and security logs were corrupt and the system log only showed that the previous system shutdown was unexpected, no events leading up to that. I am using BMC Patrol to help monitor system performance but I have historically only used it to track performance never troubleshoot issues. Does anyone where I could start to look to find out what caused that issue. Normally I find enough in the event logs to point me in the right direction, nothing there this time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Fred Sherman

Fred,

Just a question for your question have you tried using the following?
» HP Systems Insight Manager combines the strengths of HP Servicecontrol Manager, HP Insight Manager 7 and HP Toptools to deliver a single tool for managing Integrity, HP 9000, and ProLiant servers running HP-UX, Windows, and Linux.

Jay Simon
360 Technologies Inc
888-883-0360
service@360tech.com

I am using HP SIM to monitor the server and I don't see anything in the IM logs and there are no hardware alarms at all. I have never heard of HP Servicecontrol Manager, does it have some functionality that SIM doesn't?

Fred Sherman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back