Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubles with NAT and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoFender

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2003
IT
Hi all VPN guru's,
I'm facing some problems using Cisco VPN Client (Version 3.6.4) when try to connect to a Cisco Secure PIX (Version 6.3).

If I try to connect from a public IP address, everything is fine. But if I try to connect from a NATted lan (let's say 10.0.0.0/8), even if the Enable Transparent Tunneling flag is checked, I got a "Remote peer is no longer responding." message.

Any ideas?

TIA

Leo

Hi,

Have you enabled Nat traversal on the PIX?
If not, try this command: "isakmp nat-traversal"
You should get the latest version of VPN Client (4.0.X)

Good luck,

danr19

Hi danr19,

the isakmp command was already implemented on the firewall.

I've even upgraded my VPN Client, but works (better say doesn't work) in the same way.

Looking deeper at this issue, I realized that the ISP's Internet router has some ACL enable.

This is the running router configuration for the outside IP address of the firewall:

permit tcp any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eq 10000
permit udp any eq 500 host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eq 500
permit 50 any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
permit 51 any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Is this enough?
Do I have to ask my provider to open something more?

Leo

Hi Leo,

Which kind of device does NAT?
With some broadband routers like USRobotics and Linksys it works fine, but no with other like Micronet.

Cisco says: "We recommend that you grant permission for ICMP unreachable message type 3. Denying ICMP
unreachable messages disables ICMP Path MTU discovery, which can halt IPSec and PPTP traffic."

Best regards,

danr19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back