Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubles with building a Win 2k Test Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrism0n

MIS
Jul 19, 2002
US
I just finished building a test server on my company's domain. I took the default domain settings (left it in a Workgroup instead of joining our domain ) I figured I could give it a static IP, and join the domain later at a later time. When I rebooted I noticed under Microsoft Networks there was an object called Workgroup - sure enough my test server was inside all by itself. After installing all the Service Packs and Window updates, I gave it a static IP. I rebooted (Still not joining the domain yet) everything seemed fine. I could see other PC's and servers on our company's domain, and still I was alone in Workgroup. Then I joined the domain and rebooted. Everything seems fine, but now in the Workgroup (under Microsoft Windows Networks) when you double click in there you see ALL the pc's from the domain! As well as in the "normal" domain. I turned off the server. And now Workgroup is unavailable. I am afraid I screwed something up when I had this test server join the domain. Has anybody seen anything like this??? Any ideas??

What happened is perfectly normal... You joined the domain so the workgroup went away....The computer is part of the domain now.

NO - when I joined the Domain - the Workgroup was still there except now there were 100 other PC's in the Workgroup.

The Workgroup went away after I turned the Test Server off and waited 20 mins.

your desktops are probably in the workgroup instead of being added to the domain. What OS are you using?

CCNA MCSE MCP NET+ A+ Security+

We are in a mixed-mode domain right now. All workstations except for 1 laptop that a consultant uses are in the Domain.

The OS on the test server is Windows 2000 Server (not advanced)

I see you are building a test server. Is there another working Win2K server for your organization? I mean the domain controller. By looking at your problems, it seems like you are in a workgroup (peer-to-peer) mode. If you are using the test server as a domain controller, you will have to installl Active Directory on it. After you have a domain controller setup, all other workstations has to join the domain. Hope this is what you want.

Yes there are bunch of Win2k servers - We have some NT servers too. We are now in mixed-mode. We have a NT PDC and a Win2k Domain server running on our domain. I do not want the Test server to be a domain controller (no Active Directory).
I am building a test application server - so I can test out new versions of our Accounting Software (Agresso).

I finally turned it on again - and it went right in to the domain. I have never seen that before - and I thought I forgot to do something before adding the server to the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back