Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with VC++ compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

djimm100

Programmer
May 19, 2003
US
My VC++ compiler (Studio 6.0, service pack 3) is behaving oddly. It seems to not be compiling changes I make to a file. For instance, I might put a statement like this into a function:

Code:
 cout << &quot;  * * * Testing this function * * *\n:&quot;

It will compile fine, I'll debug the function, delete the cout statement when it works properly, save all, and then rebuild. But the statement will still be outputted. I know the changes are being saved to the file because I can open it up in notepad and see them. Also, if I close the workspace, delete all the workspace files from the folder, create a new workspace and add the files back into the project, then build the project, the statement will be gone.

This problem has happened several times, usually when I delete lines (as opposed to adding them). Sometimes, drastic changes will fix it, like commenting out all of main( ) and adding everything back in line by line. Of course, this is a tedious process and I want to avoid it.

I'm thinking the compiler has some sort of &quot;smart&quot; compile feature where it skips files that it thinks do not have any meaningful changes. Am I on the right track? If so, does anyone know how to disable that feature? Otherwise, does anyone have any other ideas?

I just spent four hours trying to debug a function that worked just fine without changes after recreating the workspace (again!) and I'm tired of it.

Thanks for your help.

I think this has happened to all of us :) i was not able to figure out what the problem was in most cases, however in one case I noticed the reason was that the clock of my computer was not correct, so the timestamp of the file with changes is different from the internal clock and the compiler will ignore that in some cases (depending how much the clock is out of adjust).........worth double checking the clock....
Please let the others know if you (hopefully :) ) find the cause

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back