Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with Totals Queries Access 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnd3

Instructor
Jul 1, 2001
US
I often have trouble with totals queries. So I start with just one field at a time to make sure I am doing it right. I have a data field (say company name) I am grouping by, and then a date field. I want to see the records with the most recent date. So I group by company and sort descending by date and choose LAST as the grouping option. I do not sort the company name field. I run the query, and it shows me a random date. (not the most recent like it should, but not the most past.) I try different sorts and get blanks or other dates. I would think just using 2 fields I would get this right, but I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I check and double check the data so I know what to expect in my results, and it is just not happening. Any ideas? Just seems buggy but I am smart enough to know it is probably user error. LOL

Dawn

Here is the SQL of the query I am doing if it helps.

SELECT tblExhibitors.strEmailDomain, Last(tblExhibitors.dtmDateLastUpdated) AS LastOfdtmDateLastUpdated, Last(tblExhibitors.strFirstName) AS LastOfstrFirstName, Last(tblExhibitors.strLastName) AS LastOfstrLastName, Last(tblExhibitors.strEmail) AS LastOfstrEmail
FROM tblExhibitors
GROUP BY tblExhibitors.strEmailDomain
ORDER BY Last(tblExhibitors.dtmDateLastUpdated) DESC;

If I pull up a specific email domain, ungrouped, I see that 5/24/2013 is the most recent record for that domain. But when I group it, a record with 3/15/2013 shows up as the most recent. There are 2012 dates too, so 3/15/2013 is in between the highest and lowest date.

Please help, this is making me crazy.

Maybe I figured it out. Should I be using MAX for dates instead of first/last?

Ok, when I use Max, it gives me the right date but doesn't give me the correct name that goes with that record. UGH! It still gives me the 3/15/2013 name, even though it is showing 5/24/2013. Shouldn't it keep all of one record together?

What about this ?
SQL:
SELECT E.strEmailDomain, E.dtmDateLastUpdated, E.strFirstName, E.strLastName, E.strEmail
FROM tblExhibitors E INNER JOIN (
SELECT strEmailDomain, Max(dtmDateLastUpdated) AS LastDate FROM tblExhibitors GROUP BY strEmailDomain
) L OH E.strEmailDomain=L.strEmailDomain AND E.dtmDateLastUpdated=L.LastDate

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I got an error when I tried your code PHV. However, I got it to work. Not sure if this was the long way around or the actual fix. I first created a query that found the MAX date for each domain. Then I created another query that found the person that properly matched with that date/domain. I am getting the results I want now, so I am happy, but glad to hear if there is a simpler way.

I got an error when I tried your code PHV
Which error ? Where ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back