Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with time import from txt file. AM hours don't work? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenelopeC

Technical User
May 12, 2003
US
Hi,
First I'm gonna say THANKS because I know you all have helped me through some sticky wickets and you probably will again.

I'm importing a file of call detail records. I've manually imported the file numerous times, have finally come up with a Spec that consistently works except for one field. The "STARTTIME" and "ENDTIME" fields in the text file look like this...

125833 (for 12:58.33)
93214 (for 9:32.14)

I specified DATE/TIME format and it works perfectly for any time that has two digits for the hour. Anything from one minute after midnight to 9:55.59 doesn't import - it ends up in the "file import error" table. What gives?

I've searched HELP and read FAQs this morning til my eyes crossed. I'm thinking of adding a zero to those time that would only have one digit in the hour. (It seemed to work in a test import). I'm a technical user and would struggle with coding something to do this, but it has to be done every month and I would like to automate. I did a macro to import files, etc. in another app. Can someone point me to a resource that would help me through this?

I'm using W2K and Access97. TIA!

PenelopeC
~~~>-/O~~~~~swimming right along

What about using a 24-hour time format (e.g., 2:37 AM = 0237, 7:19 PM = 1919, etc.)? You could pass the 24-hour value & massage it into 12-hour (AM/PM) during the import [or afterwards].

I'm sorry - I didn't think to say that the time IS currently in the 24 hour format. I should have said "from 00:01.01 AM to 9:59.59 AM the times don't convert; they end up in the file import error table."

Thanks so much for trying to help...hopefully this starts a new tact???

PenelopeC

When all else fails, try brute force- use Format(<time field>, &quot;hh:nn:ss&quot;) in your query (or export spec or whatever). That'll ensure that you get what you want- a 24-hour time w/ seconds (e.g., 20:33:40).

Alternately, to save work at query time, you could put a text field at the end of the record & drop in the 24-hour version of the misbehaving timestamp when the record's created.

RJ -
I found my problem....it was that I opened the file before in Excel! Excel dropped the zeros. When I went back to the original file everything was fine.

The file is from someone else so I don't have any way to force the export. I was thinking I would have to do some manipulation in Excel before importing -- turns out I just needed some time away from the problem.

I did find a check box in the Advanced portion of the import wizard that says &quot;Date/Time has leading zeros&quot; that helped too.

Thanks for coming to my aid! I appreciate it very much.

PenelopeC

penelopeC
i am having trouble with importing dates from text format.
I have the 24:00 time format.
however the time is in text format & the time 113 represents 1:13 am, as well the time &quot;1&quot; represents 00:01 I am having trouble converting these numbers to time.

do you know of an easy way to do this. if so please advise.

As a general rule, I try to avoid Excel as much as possible. I'll be the first to admit I don't know it very well (you could write everything I know about Excel in a matchbook with a laundry pen), but it always seems to cause me more problems than it's worth. Glad you found your answer.

officework13,
The advanced tab of the import wizard has some great little check boxes. They are what I used to solve my problem. Read them carefully, there are many options.

RJ,
I'm kind of a software idiot savant...I just bumble around til I get it right. Excel ain't so bad once you know how to tame it. Thankfully, I can retain and recall what I learn -- it would take a much finer pen for me to fill the matchbook <grin>

PenelopeC

I've been at this for 25+ years, so I'm just your garden-variety idiot. I suppose Excel's left a bad taste because so many business users regard it as the axis upon which the Earth turns. I've seen it used as a surrogate for every other Office program; when it (inevitably) blows up, I have to go fix it. It gets old after a while, trying to explain that it was never meant to have 250,000 rows dumped into it- that's what Access is for. Excel was meant for lots of columns over comparitively few rows; Access is just the other way 'round.

Officework, have you tried the format
Format([Field],&quot;00:00&quot;)
In the debug window
Format(1,&quot;00:00&quot;) returns
00:01
Format(10,&quot;00:00&quot;) returns
00:10
Format(113,&quot;00:00&quot;) returns
1:13
Format(2113,&quot;00:00&quot;) returns
21:13

I'm not sure where that leaves you but if you don't have any &quot;:&quot; notations in your text, just import it and then try formatting once you get it to Access.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back