Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with installing BE 9.1 on SBS2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

dundas1

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2004
GL
Hi,

I have been trying to install BE 9.1 on a new SBS 2003 std, edt.(all MS updates installed) The install goes ok, until the last part where this error and the install is rooling back.

Application popup: VERITAS Backup Exec (TM) 9.1 for Windows Servers : The Backup Exec database version you are trying to use does not match the version of this install. Schema changes have been performed on this database which do not match the executables currently being installed. Install will not be able to continue at this time. Please visit the VERITAS support web site for more information

any Ideas ?

best regards Martin

I've had the exact same problem with BE 9.1 with SBS2003. I've reinstalled almost a half dozen times, and nothing seems to work. I was able to get BE to install "properly" one time, but the very next reboot cause the server to go into a reboot cycle when it reached the Windows boot screen. I've tried updating drivers, firmware, Windows Updates, everything. It's now past midnight, and I'm going to break out the hammer in the morning.

If anyone has ideas, I'd be glad to try them.
Thanks,
Tan

Just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware are you using Martin? What build of Veritas are you using?

I'm using an IBM xSeries 235 server, 6i controller, LTO tape drive, and Veritas BE build version 4691.1.

Ok, I was able to resolve this issue with a lengthy process provided by several documents from Veritas and Microsoft. It's a very strange little problem that has to do with the MSDE instance that Sharepoint installs by default, and Veritas not being compatible with it. Here is some information provided by Veritas support:

----------------------------------------------------

By installing MSDE as a component separately to the installation of Backup Exec, the above version check is not carried out and the installation of the MSDE will complete.

For VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1, the installation files for Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE) can be found as part of the installation files:

.. \WINNT\INSTALL\MSDE

From a command prompt, execute the command:
Setup.exe INSTANCENAME=BKUPEXEC DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SAPWD=mypassword

To install the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE) with versions of VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) previous to 9.1 the installation files can be found on the VERITAS ExecView (tm) CD or by downloading ExecView from and using the same installation command.

-----------------------------------------------------

Once you install MSDE separately, and then install Veritas BE, Sharepoint will stop working. This is because of a registry entry that wasn't removed. Now you have to re-enable the SQL Agent for Sharepoint to work:

Go to the following reg key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/MICROSOFT SQL SERVER/SHAREPOINT/SQLSERVERAGENT

and delete the 'GUID' line.

SQL Agent will run now.

At this point, both Veritas and Sharepoint should work together. I personally had another problem with my LTO tape drivers from IBM not working with Veritas, but you may not have the same problems. Hope this helps you out, I know I spent many many hours finding this solution.

Tan

Tan

Sorry about the long delay, but i guess that is the way of a busy IT consultant :eek:)

Regarding the server it is a IBM X-225, Raid6i, IBM DLT (tandberg), BE 9.1 (version ?)

I think the solution that you have written seams like the rigth path, will try it out at the customer tommorow.

Best regards from greenland

Martin :eek:)

I was curious about your hardware, because this particular problem seems specific to IBM xSeries servers. The IBM servers use a certain type of SCSI controllers that use a STORPORT.SYS file that affects the way Veritas installs and operates. There's another document from Veritas that describes this problem, and helps to fix it.

Here's a compliation of Veritas articles that will help:

hope it helps
Tan

Hi Tan,

Now i have tried the things that you mentioned above it ;o)

I still don't wanna work, i don't know what to do next, i think that i will run BEdiag on the server and send it to my supplyer of the software, and let them take the trouble in figuring out what happened here.

About the storeport driver i had another server with some troble with a LTO drive connected to an onboard SCSI controller, also an IBM server :eek:)

I will drop a line here when i figure out a solution on this little problem.

Best regards

Martin

setup /upgradesp sqlrun INSTANCENAME=BKUPEXEC SECURITYMODE=SQL UPGRADEUSER=AnAdminLogin UPGRADEPWD=MyPassword DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0

This is what I have done to solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back