Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thingol

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
Hi all,

I just tried installing ActivePerl-5.8.8.817-MSWin32-x86-257965.msi on a Windows XP Professional machine.

I more or less accepted the default options, except I only checked the upper two checkboxes in the optional setup actions window. ("Add Perl to the PATH environment variable" and "Create Perl file extension association"), the others I unchecked. Also, I changed the default installation folder to: "C:\Server\Perl\"

After pressing "Install" I get an error message:
Error%20Message_Perl_Installation.gif

"An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\Server\Perl\lib\auto\Sys"

After this happened I also tried the install with all options set to default, with the exact same result.

What's going on? Anyone have a clue? Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Best regards,
Martijn Senden.

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

--Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies--

Do you have local administrator privileges? I sounds like a permissions thing.

Also, I make a point of never changing the default directory for anything I install, only because it *sometimes* causes problems if the packaging isn't quite up to scratch. You can always complain to the vendor if all you've done is a plain vanilla install...[smile]

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

make sure you are attempting to install the correct binaries for your operating system.

disk space ...

Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Hi,

I checked all these things before I posted here:

1. It's my own pc and I have all rights.
2. As I said, I also tried the install with all options
set to default, with the exact same result.
3. I downloaded the correct binaries
(As I said: "ActivePerl-5.8.8.817-MSWin32-x86-257965.msi")
4. I have plenty of disk space (23,9 GB)

So, with these options out of the way, what might be going on? I tried creating the sub-directory myself, and then install after that, but to no avail. Any clues anyone? Could it be that windows is having trouble with the "sys" name for the dir? That might be it, be I can't find anything on the subject on google (or anywhere else).

Best regards,
Martijn Senden.

Could be a bug in this version, try dowloading again, or go for an earlier version, other than that, have you bought any Sony-BMG products lately, if so you may have a case ... ;-) But you'll be needing rootkit revealer to suss that out.

When was the last time you ran a full virus scan?
What virus software are you running on this box?
Any other problems with any other software? Try MySQL and Apache, and see if they have problems, or some other large application, you've got loads of space there, it's important to fill it up, or you'll never upgrade your HDD ;-)

Any games that may have anti-hacking protection built in?

HTH

Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

First, make sure it will install to the default directory first. This will insure the integrity of the installation package.

If that works, I do know windows can be funny with path names...

Might be a long shot, but:

Try changing this:
Code:
C:\Server\Perl\

To these different installation path formats:
Code:
C:\Server\Perl\

Code:
C:/Server/Perl/

Code:
C:/Server/Perl

Like I said, it might be a long shot... But at least you will know if your installation package is good!

Let us know your results!

X

Hi All,

I've never experienced any kind of these problems before. I have an apache server with mysql and php running smoothly without any issues. I'll try installing an earlier build. I'll also try the forward slashes, although that is not something windows would normally understand. I won't have time to do this today though, so I'll let you guys know in a day or two about the results

Thanks for the input.

Best regards,
Martijn Senden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back