Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble With Dates, Variables, and Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptTom

Programmer
Jul 16, 2001
US
I need to update a field (True_Poss) to reflect the number of days from the 15th of last month to the date in the field called (Dte_Reported). Here is what I am trying, but I get an Incorrect syntax near '=' error. I have tried variations of Set tablename.true_poss, etc. same results.

Any ideas?

Declare @Mmonth char(2)
Declare @MYear Int
Declare @MDate char(4)
Declare @MCurDate SmallDatetime
Declare @MLastDate SmallDatetime
Declare @SQLString varchar(200)
SET @MDate = '/15/'
BEGIN
UPDATE dbo.XMF_NMC
SET @MCurDate = dbo.XMF_NMC.Dte_Reported
SET @MYear = Year(Dte_Reported - 30)
SET @Mmonth = Month(Dte_Reported - 30)
SET @MLastDate = (Mmonth + MDate + MYear)
SET True_Poss = (DATEDIFF(day, @MLastDate, @MCurDate) )
END

Larry

I suspect these are meant to be your variable names:

SET @MLastDate = (Mmonth + MDate + MYear)

but you've missed your @

:)

Graham

That must have dropped off inadvertently, but I still get the error. I have been fooling with this think half the morning.

Larry

Hi,

change ur update statement like this....

UPDATE dbo.XMF_NMC
, @MYear = Year(Dte_Reported - 30)
, @Mmonth = Month(Dte_Reported - 30)
, @MLastDate = (Mmonth + MDate + MYear)
, True_Poss = (DATEDIFF(day, @MLastDate, @MCurDate) )

Sunil

declare @PrevDate varchar(10)
declare @PrevMonth int, @PrevYear int

set @PrevMonth = dateadd(m, -1, dbo.XMF_NMC.Dte_Reported)
set @PrevYear = datepart(yyyy, dbo.XMF_NMC.Dte_Reported)

set @PrevDate = '15/' + convert(varchar(2), @PrevMonth) + '/' + convert(varchar(4), @PrevYear)

UPDATE dbo.XMF_NMC
SET True_Poss = DATEDIFF(d, Convert(datetime, @PrevDate, 120), dbo.XMF_NMC.Dte_Reported)

(I've kept it all separated out for clarity, but you could condense it somewhat.

HTH,

Graham

Graham, there are a couple of errors in your code. Try this:

Code:
DECLARE @prev datetime
DECLARE @prev15 varchar(8)

SET @prev = DATEADD(mm, -1, getdate())

SET @prev15 = CONVERT(varchar(4), YEAR(@prev)) + RIGHT('0' + CONVERT(varchar(2), MONTH(@prev)), 2) + '15'

UPDATE xmf_nmc
SET true_poss = DATEDIFF(dd, CONVERT(datetime, @prev15), dte_reported)
--James

Oh - I couldn't test it, but where did I go wrong? My understanding was that CptTom wanted the 15th day of the month prior to the date in dte_reported (rather than from today).
Have I done anything else obviously wrong? Am I going mad/blind? ;-)

If that's the case then mine won't work either and I misunderstood the question ;-)

Anyhow, your syntax wouldn't work for that either:

1)You've declared @prevmonth as int but then tried to set it equal to a datetime value (returned by the DATEADD function).

2)You can't use the column name in those first DATEADD and DATEPART statements the way you have tried to. --James

Ye gods, you're right. Time to go home for a lie down I think. Did I say something somewhere about my brain still working? Sheesh.....

Oops..... I thought cptom wanted to fix the synstax error... good one grahams....

Sunil

I thought I'd have a go at this, should you want to get the days between the 15th of the month previous to dte_reported and dte_reported (rather than the month previous to the current month). I hope I've managed to match up all the brackets!!

Code:
UPDATE xmf_nmc
SET true_poss = DATEDIFF(dd, CONVERT(datetime, CONVERT(varchar(4), YEAR(DATEADD(mm, -1, dte_reported))) + RIGHT('0' + CONVERT(varchar(2), MONTH(DATEADD(mm, -1, dte_reported)))) + '15'), dte_reported)
--James

This is what I changed and it works. Thanks! Now, how do I call it in the DTS Process? I have one that runs the import and I want this to run upon completion.

UPDATE dbo.XMF_NMC
, @MYear = Year(Dte_Reported - 30)
, @Mmonth = Month(Dte_Reported - 30)
, @SQLString = (@Mmonth + @MDate + @MYear)
, @MLastDate = (@SQLString)
, True_Poss = (DATEDIFF(day, @MLastDate, @MCurDate) )

Thanks! Everything works the way it shoudl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back