Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefoxfire

Vendor
Apr 18, 2011
US
How do you handle a breakdown of a relationship with a customer.

For example, if the customer or customers employees start to interfere with your project during installation.

Or the customer starts to tell you how to install your equipment or program it or they want to rush you especially during a large installation or when you are working with a lot of old cabling that has to cleared away and may take a long time.

At what point do you put your foot down and let them know that they hired and paid a professional to do the job and to let the professional they hired do their job.

This is of course referring to non professional non telco people who are not qualified to discuss the technical aspect of an installation especially a large PBX installation.

Thanks

In a calm voice express your concern in a polite fashion without making him defensive, or have your superior manager handle it.

Tell them you have it under control and appreciate their help.

thank you for the advice.

part of the problem with this current installation is I've been through 3 office managers in 4 months.

the employees at this company really despise the management company and the owners they're very unhappy so they take it out of the vendors.

everytime there's a new manager or employee it's like I'm starting a project all over again explaining every aspect of the installation. once again

I'm getting very frustrated with the lack of communication between the management company who owns the property any employees.

this is a 300 extension installation so it's rather large in scope . I have my hands full just clearing out all the old wiring cable inside the building and putting in all the equipment

all of the people involved in this are non technical most of them are entry level and do not understand what it takes to install something the size they think that all I'm supposed to do is unplug the old telephones from the wall and plug in the new telephone sets and everything like magic will work

You need to act calm. Make the customer feeling safe and secure.
If the old equiment (PBX) can run in parallel with the new system, it is a good idea. We often do this with so the cutomers own test "people" can check out new features (and how to use the phones). When they feal ready, we will do the swap. Since the test people have gained a lot of experience they will often act as superuser and teach their own groups and departments how to handle this new phone system. In this way it works well for all parties.

///doktor

I already had the old PBX running while I switched the exts. over. The problem is really a staff of angry unhappy employees that are becoming abusive with me and violating the terms and agreement of my contract.

For example, all jack wiring must be done by me and the communications closet is off limits. Even though I have told them and the maintenance director that during their renovations I am to be advised of the jacks that need to be installed or required.

Nope instead they do not contact me and just have either a maintenance man or some porter rewire the jacks.

I have found that they have entered the communications closet and even tonight found the door unlocked again.

In this case it is more a case of a contract violation than making them feel nice and warm and safe.

They are not following directions which will of course lead to accusations and the old "blame the vendor" routine.

Who owns the wiring- and communications closet? If it belongs to your customer, I guess that it his "law" that works out?.
If the room is owned by you and so the system, it is different.
(like hosted telephony -by placed at the customer premises).

///doktor

it doesn't matter who owns what. A signed contract specifies exactly what are the terms and conditions that are to be maintained during the project.

violation of those terms and agreements turns into a breach of contract.

and I have no idea what a non standard customer installation means can you explain that to me.

Document, Document, Document.

Inform the customer that you can only warranty your own work - any "midnight" changes will not be covered, and that continued problems will void the warranty for the whole project.

If you can't change/control the door locks to the comm. closets, wrap/cover/seal as much as possible.

Yes, that is what I have started to do. I am taking no more verbal or written or voice mail or text orders or changes. I have told the staff because of the problems that have happened since the beginning of the installation that I will only take email service requests from now on so I have documentation.

The office manager did not like that at all. But I held my ground and told her if she wants anything done outside of the original contract it must now be documented.

I am a licensed Low Voltage contractor so if I have to hold them in breech of contract and place a lien I will have documentation.

I am not one to run and call the attorney right away but I can see this coming down the track.

you can always revise the labour cost (saw this at a tire store)

price for tire instalation $25.00 per hour
price if you hang over my shoulder $35.00 per hour
price if you help $65.00 per 1/2 hour

i handed that to a customer one time ,that would not leave me alone
and after a few dozen kind words i handed this to him, he smiled and said point taken and left me alone to complete the job

mike

I also worked for a guy once who would put a PITA charge on the bill at time of billing. It was a pretty hefty charge sometines and no customer ever asked what it was.
Good thing, as it stood for "Pain In The A**".

I can;t believe someone else knows about PITA charges! I thought I made that one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back