Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with ASPCrypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

palagrim

Programmer
Apr 28, 2005
GB
Afternoon!

I've been using ASPCrypt to encrypt passwords between a form and a SQL 2000 server running on Windows Server 2k3. Normally things all seem to work fine.

Which is nice...

But then every so often I get this error:

Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'
Server.CreateObject Access Error

The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object.

This error occurs on the line:

Set objCrypt = server.createobject("AspCrypt.crypt")

Now I know it's not my code - since as I say it works fine for ages and then suddenly dies for no apparent reason. I've checked the permissions on the server etc and they seem fine.

The only way to solve the issue is to reboot the server. Which is a pain in the rear really since the application is being built to support around 3000 users.

Anyone out there had a similar problem? I appreciate that this is possibly more of a Windows Server question, but figure that ASP coders are more likely to have played with ASPCrypt.

Thanks.

-Craig.

If it never worked then I would say check the permissions on your IUSR_MachineName accout but having the permissions change WHILE it is running is downright freaky!

Are all users running under the IUSR account or, if not, what is your security scheme?

Yeah, all users are running under the same IUSR account on the host machine. Which is what confuses the **** outta me.

All seems to work fine and then falls over for no apparent reason. And nothing seems to jump out at me from the IIS logs either...

Tres bizarre...

Hi,

I was just wondering if you found a solution to this problem yet? I am experiencing the same thing where everything will be working fine and all of a sudden, users can't login and our same line of code is failing (Set objCrypt = server.createobject("AspCrypt.crypt")). We recently moved from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2003 Server and it has only happened since we moved (if that helps anyone). The problem is solved as soon as we restart IIS so you don't even need to restart the whole server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kellie

Kellie

Just a shot in the dark....

Are you explicitly setting your object closing the object or setting it to Nothing ?

It could be that the number of users who can access that object has surpassed a limit. I know from experience such errors do occur with database connections. Am not sure if such a thing can happen in other cases too...

Regards
Satish

Hi there

Satish could have a point - that's one thing that I never really checked to be honest.

We did a domain upgrade over the Summer and so I ditched the SQL Database for login information and decided to do it through Windows authentication and ADSI.

Much cleaner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back