Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble Upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanin247

Programmer
Apr 23, 2001
US
To Whom It May Concern:
I've got an old Compaq Presario 2240 and was trying to put some more RAM into it. It's got 32MB with (from what I can see visually) one slot holding a 16MB stick and another slot (which I cannot seem to find, I guess its internal?) that holds the other 16MB. I took out the 16MB stick and placed a 64MB stick in its place but when I booted up, the system (under Win95) did not recognize the new memory. However, when I placed a 32MB stick in, the computer accepted it. I read somewhere that this computer maxes out at 48MB. Do you know if there is anyway to get around this and get the machine to *at least* 80MB (by inserting 64MB)? But, ideally, I want to add more. Also, is the other 16MB internal? or is it just located somewhere else on the motherboard?

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

kanin

This is what I found.....

Manufacturer Compaq
Model Presario 2240
Maximum Memory 48MB
Standard Memory 32MB (16MB non-removable)
Number of Slots 1 (1 bank of 1)
Notes All memory slot(s) are filled, some of the existing memory must be removed in order to upgrade.

The 32meg chip is about all you can add, sorry for you luck :) "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back