Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble sorting a Group By in a query

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmana

Programmer
Jan 23, 2008
US
Greetings,

I have a query:

Code:
	SELECT Sum(ColumnValue) AS SOCount, ColumnPK
	INTO #TT1010
	FROM 
	(SELECT SUBSTRING(DATENAME(mm, DT.dtime), 0, 4) AS ColumnLabel, Data.ColumnValue, 
	CASE WHEN datepart(mm, DT.dtime) < 10 
	THEN '0' + CAST(datepart(mm, DT.dtime) AS VARCHAR(1)) + '/' +   CAST(datepart(yy, DT.dtime) AS VARCHAR(4)) 
	ELSE  CAST(datepart(mm, DT.dtime) AS VARCHAR(2))  + '/' + CAST(datepart(yy, DT.dtime) AS VARCHAR(4))
	END AS ColumnPK, 'Current period' AS Series
	FROM (

SELECT COUNT(s.SONumber) AS ColumnValue, DateClosed AS ColumnPK
	FROM tblServiceOrders s
	WHERE s.FKDispatchBoardKeyID = 6 AND s.Status <> 'Void' AND DateOpened Is Not Null AND TimeOpened Is Not Null AND DateClosed Is Not Null and TimeClosed Is Not Null
	GROUP BY s.SONumber, DateClosed

) AS Data RIGHT OUTER JOIN dbo.tf_udfDateTimes(@CPStartDate, @CPEndDate, 1, 'day', 0) AS DT ON Data.ColumnPK = DT.dtime
	) AS ForGroupBy
	GROUP BY ColumnLabel, ColumnPK, Series

Which gives me the following:

ColumnLabel ColumnValue ColumnPK Series
Jan 73 01/2014 Current period
Feb 89 02/2014 Current period
Mar 73 03/2014 Current period
Apr 58 04/2014 Current period
May 15 05/2014 Current period
Jun 39 06/2013 Current period
Jul 40 07/2013 Current period
Aug 80 08/2013 Current period
Sep 86 09/2013 Current period
Oct 77 10/2013 Current period
Nov 50 11/2013 Current period
Dec 60 12/2013 Current period

I need this to sort by the third column so that the data returned is oldest to newest. I tried to do an ORDER BY on RIGHT(ColumnPK,4) as a start but that did't work. I also tried to do an ORDER BY ColumnLabel to test. That didn't work either.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Ed

Hi,

Why are you changing a Date, which is apparently what you expect to sort by, to a STRING which will sort as NOT expected?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Skip,

I see your point. However, I tried to ORDER BY ColumnLabel which is a 3 letter string showing the month for testing of the ORDER BY after the GROUP BY and it didn't work either.

Ed

Well do you think that the string Jan will sort before the string Feb???

Actually Apr sorts first, followed by Aug!!!

Pretty sure that's NOT what you expect.

Skip,
[sub]

You are correct; that is not the result I ultimately want.

I was using that to see if I could get the data returned to change the sort order from what I was seeing. The returned rows did not change sort order.

I want it sorted by ColumnPK by year and then by month.

Since ColumnPK is returned as a string, not a date (This format is a requirement for something else to which I am interfacing and can't change), I am limited to parsing and converting.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Ed

Then sort on the substr of columnpk: first the last 4, then the first 2.

Skip,
[sub]

Skip,

I can't get the data to sort with an order by after the group by. It doesn't change the sort order regardless of what I try to order by. Hence the reason I posted.

Please post your SQL.

Skip,
[sub]

Code:
SELECT Sum(ColumnValue) AS SOCount, ColumnPK
	INTO #TT1010
	FROM 
	(SELECT SUBSTRING(DATENAME(mm, DT.dtime), 0, 4) AS ColumnLabel, Data.ColumnValue, 
	CASE WHEN datepart(mm, DT.dtime) < 10 
	THEN '0' + CAST(datepart(mm, DT.dtime) AS VARCHAR(1)) + '/' +   CAST(datepart(yy, DT.dtime) AS VARCHAR(4)) 
	ELSE  CAST(datepart(mm, DT.dtime) AS VARCHAR(2))  + '/' + CAST(datepart(yy, DT.dtime) AS VARCHAR(4))
	END AS ColumnPK, 'Current period' AS Series
	FROM (

SELECT COUNT(s.SONumber) AS ColumnValue, DateClosed AS ColumnPK
	FROM tblServiceOrders s
	WHERE s.FKDispatchBoardKeyID = 6 AND s.Status <> 'Void' AND DateOpened Is Not Null AND TimeOpened Is Not Null AND DateClosed Is Not Null and TimeClosed Is Not Null
	GROUP BY s.SONumber, DateClosed

) AS Data RIGHT OUTER JOIN dbo.tf_udfDateTimes(@CPStartDate, @CPEndDate, 1, 'day', 0) AS DT ON Data.ColumnPK = DT.dtime
	) AS ForGroupBy
	GROUP BY ColumnLabel, ColumnPK, Series 
        ORDER BY CAST(RIGHT(ColumnPK,4) AS INTEGER), CAST(LEFT(ColumnPK,2) AS INTEGER)

...and please post a sample of the query results.

Skip,
[sub]

Actually, I figured it out.

This query was part of a larger stored procedure and the dataset returned came from a different place. I moved the above ORDER BY I created above and all is good.

Sorry for wasting the electrons on this post.
Ed

Electors cannot be wasted: conservation of energy.

Time, however??????????

Skip,
[sub]

Yes, and time. Sorry for wasting your time Skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back