Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble setting Account Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1utch

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
I'm using Windows 2000 Server as my DC. Also I'm running Exchange 2000 on a seperate server and have just installed a thrid Windows 2000 Server and promoted it to a DC as well for redundancey.

I have a group of users that only use email via Outlook Web Access (Exchange's version of webmail) accessing it through Internet Explorer. However, I don't want these users to login to the computers on the domain with their personal account. In fact, to restrict them from doing so, I have edited their user account to force them to only be able to login to the Exchange server for webmail (OWA). I did this by going into the properties of each of my users within Active Directory and clicking the "Account" tab. Then clicking the "Log On To..." button, I change the default setting of "All Computers" to "The Following Computers". I then add the name of my exchange server only. Now if a user tries to log into a workstation on our domain, they get prompted that they are restricted from doing so.

With that being said, I now want to create a Group Policy for the OU that these users are a member of..specifically to setup Password Policy, Account Lockout Policy. I created a Group Policy and went into Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Account Policy to make my appropriate changes.

Now, when I try to purposely lock an account out by logging into OWA, nothing happens. After typing in an incorrect password 3 times, the webpage simply states "Access is Denied". If I check the account I was using in AD, it does not state it's locked out. I'm wondering if the way I setup these accounts to only login to my Exchange server is affecting the GP settings I put in place.

Am I missing something simple here. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back