Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble Replacing WAN Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
I have two NetWare 4.11 servers and approximately 70 local workstations and other than Novell servers. I am connected to 19 rural offices through a CISCO router WAN link. I use NWIP to communicate between remote offices and head office. Last week I tried to upgrade the router and lost the ability to communicate from outside the local (new) router to the two NetWare servers only and from those two servers to anything over the WAN. I have switched back the previous router and am still in business. What is happening is that when I ping from a rural location to the Server 1 or 2 IP, I get no reply. Also when I ping from Server 1 or 2 to anything outside the local router, I get no reply. Everything else works fine; that is to say that pinging to a workstation IP or AS400 IP from any rural office receives a reply and vice versa. It is only the Novell Servers that are unable to communicate over the WAN. All routing tables and access lists are carried over to the new router as well as the same IP. Are the servers trying to reply to a MAC address? This seems to me to be the only difference between the old and new routers. If this is the case, how do I have them recognize the new MAC address for the same IP? Or does anyone have other possibilities / suggestions?

Have you tried issuing the reset routers command on the server consoles? Just a thought

NWIP is a truly kluged protocol. The easy answer is to upgarde to Netware 5 or better, and use standard TCP/IP. That not withstanding, you need to find an expert in NWIP to have them go through the configuration and find where the configuration needs to change to reconnect NWIP with the new routers.

My NWIP memory is very fuzzy, but this is most certainly your problem.

Sean

The problem stemmed from the fact that the new router was not issuing RIPs. Netware 4 relies on SAP and RIP to find a default path. When I turned on RIP everything was fine. I was also able to fix the problem by giving the servers a default path instead of letting them discover it (no RIPs).
Thanx for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back