Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble reading dvd created using MagicISO on IBM eServer P5 AIX6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samitpan

Programmer
Mar 26, 2009
US
I have encountered a situation where an iso image created on windows using MagicISO(and burned onto a DVD-R) cannot be read on AIX. The hardware used is an eServer P5 and the OS is AIX 6.1
The iso image has a UDF format.
The problem I see is that the file names are truncated and when I do an ls -l into the dvd, I get an error stating that certain files and directories do not exist (error code: 0653-341). The dvd drive is mounted with a -v cdrfs option.
When I unmount and remount with a -v udfs option, I get an error stating "Unformatted or incompatible media".
I would appreciate it if anyone could provide any insight on what may be the cause of this error.
Thanks in advance.

hi,

many years ago, when I had to make CD for AIX, I had many
troubles of any type:

- find CDRW for AIX (scsi, expensive)
- file names
- standards
- ... any ...

I solved, forever, the problem in this way:

I used AIX 4.3, and was not on the OS tools to create CD;
I downloaded cdrecord tools from various sites (ucla,bull),
and create an ISO file on AIX.

Today, I believe you have no problem to:

1) transfer via FTP or other, files on AIX dir (also nested)
2) using program that today are on AIX (or in linux CDs in AIX pack), create image.iso (a file) on AIX.
3) ftp image.iso from AIX to any PC
4) using normal pc programs, create a CD from that iso file.
5) put CD on AIX, and I believe that all is ok!

ciao
vittorio

I create cds and dvds but under linux. I have never tried using a windows based system to do this, nor would I. I use
cdrecord for CD and growisofs for DVD. I also use mkisofs to create the respective iso files. I have never created a bootable CD or DVD from scratch. I take an existing image and make a dd copy of it or download an iso image which is already bootable. I have added to an existing iso image by mounting it, making the changes and then saving the file as an iso image. I use these because they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back