Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble Proving GroupWise is worth it 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fousait

MIS
Sep 1, 2004
US
Need a little help. This last year we made the switch from sendmail to GroupWise. It does email and other group task very well. Every time I turn around now my boss is telling me we went backwards from having a sendmail server with outlook clients. Anyone have a good way to sell or prove this is a good move.

How did they handle group tasks, appointments, busy searches, message tracking, and other features before?

Outlook is a good PIM, but without Exchange it's only about as useful as any other POP/IMAP client. You now have multi-user calendaring, better (or at least easier) rules processing. Also document libraries and shared folders, if you like. GW definitely has more features than a mail-only system.

he can't get over all the little stupid things that outlook has like the Stationery the ablity to snooze take for more than 15 min they would set up a task in outlook set it for like 3 days before had then snooze it up till the day it was do

And don't forget about how easy it is to exploit Outlook and shut down your entire business because of the (INSERT LATEST VIRUS HERE) virus attack. Maybe that isn't important to some business owners.

If he wants to use Outlook, why don't you let him use outlook and just connect via POP3 or IMAP? You can still use GroupWise on the backend. I have clients that do it this way and it seems to work fine for them. And it may be a good compromise for your boss. Keep groupwise, use outlook.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Don't forget the ability to proxy to other accounts. We use this feature extensively.

And don't forget about how easy it is to exploit Outlook and shut down your entire business because of the (INSERT LATEST VIRUS HERE) virus attack. Maybe that isn't important to some business owners.

Your living in the past, Groupwise has the exact same exploit vulnerabilities. The majority of the protection must be established at the server level. I use both GroupWise and Exchange, with a connector between them. I believe in giving the user a choice. Administratively the Exchange box is much easier to manage than the GroupWise box. They both have their place in our environment and are both reliable and sound. Did I mention that both use a Linux Postfix server on the front-end to enhance security.

uh, okay .... not trying to stir feces up but your information is wrong thule

Outlook/Exchange is clearly more susceptible to security attacks than GroupWise. What's more, when attacked, Outlook/Exchange systems experience significantly greater damage than GroupWise systems. That's because Microsoft has implemented a number of Visual Basic hooks to Outlook/Exchange that permit hackers and vandals to create viruses that cause extensive damage. Unlike Outlook/Exchange, GroupWise doesn't have Visual Basic hooks, making it far more difficult to create viruses that cause extensive damage.

The most prevalent type of viruses are those that spread by attacking the address book and auto-e-mailing themselves to discovered addresses. GroupWise implements a far more secure address book then Exchange, one that is fully encrypted and has a unique API. As a result, even if a virus does infect a GroupWise user, it would not be propagated to additional users and cause widespread damage as it would in an Outlook/Exchange system.

When ever a new virus is released, the Microsoft consulting group in my company is running to almost every client we service for two to three weeks getting the infection cleaned up. The Novell group goes to the clients that do not have an IT department to clean off the virus from the one or two systems that might have gotten hit prior to the AV gateway getting the sig update, but never have I seen a network wide infection in a GroupWise mail system ... NEVER.

Sendmail is a nice SMTP server, but thats really all it is, an SMTP server. GroupWise is groupware with SMTP capabilities.

The GroupWise client includes all of the core functionality required for enterprise collaboration and surpasses Outlook in several areas, most notably remote user
support and virus susceptibility. Outlook/Exchange is notoriously cumbersome for remote users attempting to access their mail over a dial-up connection.

GroupWise enables Office users to save documents directly to GroupWise document management libraries. GroupWise document management enables sharing, version control, and access control of Office documents and files.

And as far as viablity of the products future, when you look at any of the market share reports you will always see Outlook at the top. This is because M$ counts any Outlook client in use, no matter what the back end is. Novell only counts actual seats connected to a GroupWise backend. An interesting number to look at is the user count from year to year .... GroupWise is growing and growing in user count.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer

We have a similar problem with our Chief Executive who came from a Microsoft Shop (Outlook <-> Exchange). If you have the flexibility to move to GroupWise 7.0, it includes the capability to allow for interface with the Outlook 2003 client (Outlook Connector for GroupWise). Then you could put him on Outlook (which he loves) and let everyone else use the GroupWise client. I am not sure about Busy Search Functionality and Proxy with the Outlook Connector for GroupWise.

If you are still using GroupWise 6.5 I believe you are stuck with POP3 or IMAP for the interface to your GroupWise system.

Thule, I don't understand how you say I'm living in the past.

There was another massive virus attack over the last week or so, and honestly I don't even know what it is called. I don't worry much about viruses because my clients are secure because they use NetWare and GroupWise. We don't have to think about viruses. If that is what you consider living in the past, then I guess I am. So what.

I'm not going to try to argue though because it's usually pointless. Instead I will refer to another post that touched on much of the same things.

I also agree 100% with what Brent said, he summed it up pretty well.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back