Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble on shut down 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocker40

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2004
US
I have a windows ME box that when I shut it down the fan stays running . After about 5 minutes it will restart the PC.
I have checked several things including software and MSconfig . I can find no programs that could be stalling the shut down.
Anybody have any ideas where I could start?

have a windows ME box that when I shut it down the fan stays running . After about 5 minutes it will restart the PC.

A number of things could be causing this, but I would suggest that you start with the power management properties of the machine... Is it ACPI compliant?? if so, then does the screen go black at shutdown or does it bring up the "its now safe" message. If it goes black, then the ACPI side is working fine, if not then a registry tweak is required. However, if you have a network card built into the machine try disabling it or removing it, if this solves the problem, then in may be that in your BIOS the machine is set to Wake On Lan. This means that every time you get a ping from any other machine, it will wake it up again. If this is the case, simply disable the Wake-On Lan Feature and you should solve the problem.

Since the last thing they told me was they put in a network card I bet you are right. I will check it
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back