Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble installing MS04-038 on systems with IE6 Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakl8

Technical User
May 25, 2005
US
I am using SMS2003 SP1 on a Win2k3 SP1 box.

I am having trouble pushing MS04-038 to systems that have IE6 Gold on them. There is a KB article (887437) that says that the MBSA scanning tool can detect systems needing the update but cannot give SMS the information needed to download and deploy the appropriate update. The article also states that it applies to IE6 SP1 (the machines needing it are running Win2k SP4 and IE6 Gold w/ no SP)

That being said it gives you a SMS Deployment Package to download (IE6.0sp1-KB834707-SMS-Deploy-KB887437-x86-ENU.exe ) and some switches to use in the DSUW. Well, I have downloaded this patch and used the recommended switches with no success. The PatchInstall log on the client gives me the following message.

FAILSAFE TIMEOUT: UpdateID = , QNumber = 834707, Title = Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (834707), Executable = "\\SMSServer\SMSPKGD$\CEN00016\INTERNET EXPLORER 6 GOLD\1033\IE6.0sp1-KB873377-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe" /q:a /r:n

1 Authorized updates, 1 updates attempted, 1 updates failed. Success MIF will be generated.

And the update is not installed. Can anyone shed some light on how I can get this update pushed out? BTW I can run this on my test machine manually.

Thank you for any help.

The reason it doesnt work is that it isnt made for IE6 gold its made for IE6 sp1 :)

you need to use the /quiet /norestart switches when running this on Windows 2000 or XP. For Windows NT 4.0 Os, use the /q:a /r:n

Your installation is hanging and timing out...this is why it is failing. Of the SUS patch was not supported, you would get a not applicable skip.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Thanks for the advice. I tried the switches like you suggested but got an error message "INSTALL FAILED: UpdateID = , QNumber = 834707, Title = Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (834707), ExitCode = 1603, Executable = "\\SMSserver\SMSPKGD$\CEN00017\INTERNET EXPLORER 6 GOLD\1033\IE6.0-KB834707-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe" /norestart /quiet /passive

Error description = Fatal error during installation.

I have had success using the IE Customization Wizard and just upgrade the systems to IE6SP1 via Group Policy deployment. Thank you again for your suggestion.

For what its worth MS04-040 replaced ms04-038...And I wouldn't be suprised if 040 was replaced by something already.

I think your on the correct route upgrading to SP1 though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back