Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble in Updateddriversland 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smellydoberman

Technical User
Sep 14, 2002
US
See sig for hdwr. I opted to get the updated drivers from ATI rather than Sapphire, did the update dance, now when I try to page down a webpage or even a list of newsgroup posts from within Agent Reader, instead of slamming into place like I'm used to, the stuff oozes down screen (or up)
following a line across the screen. It reminds me of the slow frame rate I would get when I tried to play Falcon 3.0
on my old 386 SX-25, way back in the day. I've tried reinstalling the "old" drivers, to no avail. I'm down to yanking the card out and trying on board video, or the always effective fdisk and re-install of the O/S. Hopefully someone here will make that last one unnecessary.

Homebrew P4-2.6g;MSI MS-6540G;SiS-661FM
512 Crucial DDR400; Maxtor 160&120 SATA HDD's in CRU Dataport V+ drawers; Radeon
9200SE by Sapphire 128DDR; WIN2K Pro SP4

I know what your trouble may be. First thing to do is go get Omega's rebuilt drivers from which are streamlined versions of ATI's drivers and really increase performance. They ARE unofficially supported by ATI and are used in the next release of their official drivers.

In that same site is a program called Driver Cleaner which is essential to solving your problems. With ATI drivers, you have to clean them out totally, even from the registry, if you make a big change or all sorts of stupid things will happen.

This SHOULD fix your troubles quite nicely but let me know and we can figure it out.

Kyle, are you trolling? Why do you want to take the discussion to another site?

Eh? No it's a good resource. I use the drivers and the apps but the people there are pretty annoying. Whining a lot and all that.

Actually your the first person to act this way since I've been coming here so...

Well, one fdisk/OS reinstall later and I'm armed with the knowledge that the culprit is the POS MSI motherboard/SiS Chipset combo not liking something about the installation of that card and both the orig and Omega drivers. Took the card and ATI/Omega drivers to a friend's late model ASUS P4 machine and had no problem.
That m'board reacted in such a way that after the ATI driver install attempt and that of the Omega, the result was a munged registry and BSOD after BSOD. As usual I hadn't bothered to backup the registry when it was healthy.
This MSI/SiS board is a fill-in unit while I save for the SuperMicro board I really want. Now I see why it was so cheap.
I do appreciate your response Kyle. Driverheaven is a resource I didn't have, and it's a good one.

512 Crucial DDR400; Maxtor 160&120 SATA HDD's in CRU Dataport V+ drawers; WIN2K Pro SP4

Yikes! And there's no way around that one.Is there any way to disable the thing in BIOS? You did pay for it after all and we should try everything.

What about jumper settings. I had a board once that hated all video cards until I found out that I had to change jumpers to have it ignore the onboard video.

Give me a little while to scour the net and a few engineers I know and we'll see if there's a work around.

It's the lack of jumpered anything that I should have noticed before passing on the purchase. Theres a total of one jumper header (CMOS erase).

The only control in BIOS is boot priority over AGP or video from a PCI slot source. It considers the on board video AGP, as well as whatever is stuck into the actual AGP riser.

Not a whole hell of alot of control available on this.

512 Crucial DDR400; Maxtor 160&120 SATA HDD's in CRU Dataport V+ drawers; WIN2K Pro SP4

Check and see if there's a BIOS update available. Sometimes things like that are addressed by new versions. If it's a common BIOS you may be able to substitute another all together but that is far beyond my meager abilities. lol

I can tie a ribbon on this one now Kyle. The solution was forced on me when my C drive partition suddenly without any glitchy unstability forgot who it was. I dumped in a vacuum fresh new Raptor SATA, did the O/S reinstall, then had the sensible thought come to mind that asked why not pass on in-
stalling the SiS AGP stuff and go ahead and stick in the Radeon and the driver package you sent me after awhile back. So I did and everything's working like it should while the Radeon 9200 crunches the video. Who knows what combination of software, hardware, relative humidity etc etc combined to drag down the performance of the card like before, but that's part of the legacy of these cobbled together layers of bloat code kludgemeister M$ products.**

Thank you for your input Kyle. It was appreciated.

**Unless of course it was hardware related.

There is a new set that was recently released at DriverHeaven for the newest of Catalyst drivers, optimized by Omega. Supposedly really helps a lot although I have yet to find the time to check them but from what I read, people are pretty happy with them.

Now with new Intel M/B, the latest Catalyst release for W2K installed seamlessly and works perfect. Good call, Mate.

Homebrew P4-3.0G; Intel D865GBF M/B;
512 Crucial DDR400; Sony DVD R/W; (1) Maxtor 160 SATA, WD Raptor 74G ESATA, WD Caviar SE 200G, WD 80G EIDE & Maxtor 60G EIDE HDD's in CRU Dataport V+ pull out drawers; Supermicro SC-750A Full Tower; PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 425 Supply; (3) 92mm front intake; (1) 92mm rear exhaust upper & 1 lower; (1) 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back