Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble identifying computer on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

michellerobbins56

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
GB
Hello

I have just set up a computer with Windows 2000 Server service pack 4. I have connected it up to our network switch with cat 5 cable. The computer is going to act as a server on our network. I have just finished successfully installing all of Windows 2000 and all of its components. I now need to add it to our network domain. I right click on My Computer and click the second tab called Computer Name. I can see it is only currently added to a 'workgroup'. When I click the properties button to add it to my domain when I enter the domain name it says it cannot connect to the domain. What could be the possible cause of this? I have checked the cat 5 and network lan point and it is all lit up fine on the back of the machine. In the past when I have added machines to network domains it should automatically recognise the domain name when I type it in because it is connected via the cat 5. But not this time.

Thank you so much for any help.

Michelle

First you want to check that it is getting a IP address (assigned by DHCP) or if you have set a static IP address that it is correct. The same with the default gateway and DNS servers, this information is vital.

FRCP

Is this an Active directory domain and have you checked the network settings for this Server. 100bt vs 10bt 10 Full duplex vs half duplex to be sure the PC is able to communicate accross the network.

Are you using DHCP or is this server using a static IP, if it's static, are your subnet address and gateway info correct.

The first thing you want to establish is the proper connectivity and communications accross your lan.

If this is AD, go to your AD domain controller and confirm the server has been registered in AD, next reset the computer account if it exists in AD.

I hope this helps, your name jumped out at me, because I knew a Michelle Robbins in my hometown.

soooo I hope this gets you gong in the right direction, good luck...

Hi

Thank you for all the replies. I am going to assign it a static ip as all other servers on my network have a static one (however there is no where that I can see where I can assign a static ip - is there a way to do this? And then my plan is to add it to the Domain Controller. I thought during the install it would be added automatically to the Active Directory on my Domain Controller (as are all the client machines on my network). But it has been a long time since I added a server to my network.

I have tried looking in the Connections Tab in Internet Properties and going to LAN settings. However there are only radio buttons to 'Automatically detect settings' (which I don't want) or there is a radio button option: 'Use automatic configuration script', but not sure what this is.

I have tried also looking in Network and Dialup Connections and clicking the "Make a new connection" but this just asks for a phone number.

The most promising area where it looks like I can enter some kind of network settings is by right-clicking "My Computer", going to Properties, click the Network Identificiation tab, and here there is a 'properties' button which says to click if you want to rename this computer or join a domain. When I click this it takes me to a screen where there are two radio buttons, one saying Domain, and one saying Workgroup.

There is also a button saying "more" where it then asks me for a "Primary DNS suffix of this computer". There is a tick box underneath this that says "Change primary DNS DNS suffix when domain membership changes". My question is what is the Primary DNS suffix? This seems to be the only place I can enter any kind of network information.

When I click the "domain" radio button and enter my network domain name that is when I get the error message saying "error occurred validating the domain. This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

Thank you for any help.

Thank you for any help.

Here are the instructions on how to assign a static IP address.

1) Right-click 'My Network Places' and select 'Properties'
2) Right-click 'Local Area Connection' and select 'Properties'
3) Double-click 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'
4) Click the 'Use the following addresses' radio button
enter a valid IP address, subnet mask and default gateway
5) Click the 'Use the following DNS server addresses' radio button
6) In 'Preferred DNS server' enter the IP address of the primary DNS server on your network (this most likely will be your domain controller)
7) Click OK

There are 2 methods of adding the server to the domain. The method below assumes the server will be a 'member server' rather than a domain controller (DC). If you want this server to be a DC you need to run the DCPromo wizard.

1) Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'
2) Click the 'Network Identification' tab and select 'Properties'
3) Click the 'Domain' radio button and enter the name of the domain you want to join and click 'OK'
4) You will be prompted for a username/password of a user with privileges to add machines to the domain.
5) Click OK and if successful you will see the message 'Welcome to the ????? domain'
6) You'll now be prompted to restart the machine.

Once you've restarted you should be able to logon with a domain user account.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thank you for your reply. My problem is I don't have a LAN connection for me to check the properties. I have to create one - there is a "Make new connection" icon, which when clicked takes me to a page which asks for a phone number etc.

I know exactly what you mean about going to the Properties and TCP/IP properties and then entering the IP and DNS and gateway information but as said above there is no existing lan connection set up to go into the properties. I can only create a new connection but when I try to do this it asks for a phone number code. I have never had to do this before.

When I do try entering a phone number code it then goes into a screen which presents me with several options - none of which are for adding to a local area network! Very frustrating.

Have I done something wrong or do I have to do something? I have checked the CAT 5 cable and it definitely connected to the switch correctly. But for some reason the new machine cannot see the domain.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

Do I have to do something on my domain controller first so the new machine can recognise the domain?

It sounds as though your network card hasn't been detected, as even if the card has a problem or is disabled it should still show in Network and Dialup Connections.

Check device manager and confirm that you have a Network Adapters entry.

I've just had a look at the device manager and found there are drivers missing for two ethernet controllers and a vgi controller for some reason. This could be why the network adapter is not working properly. Why wouldn't the drivers be on the Windows 2000 server CD's? I think I have a Windows 2003 server CD somewhere. Would the correct drivers likely be on this CD? Or is there a good website where I can save them to CD for free and use them? Unfortunately the device manager gives no detail as to what type of network adapter card is on the machine.

Thank you for any help.

The first place to try would be the website of the manufacturer of your server, as they should provide the drivers for the hardware in your server model.

If that fails, try opening the server and have a look on the actual NIC for the manufacturer and model and then download them from their website (same goes for the VGA card).

If however the NIC and VGA are on-board, you'll probably need to go to the system board manufacturers site, or failing that contact the supplier of the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back