Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble getting latest comment record from a query... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToyFox

Programmer
Jan 24, 2009
US
I have a table that holds comments. There can be multiple comments for the account. They are dated. I want to query the table and get the latest comment -- I am using MAX on the date and LATEST on the comment....I have checked several records and I am getting the MAX date but sometimes not the LATEST comment....is there a way to accomplish this.

A starting point:
Code:
SELECT A.account, A.date, A.comment
FROM yourTable A INNER JOIN (
SELECT account, MAX([date] AS LastDate FROM yourTable GROUP BY account
) M ON A.account=M.account AND A.Date=M.LastDate

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Perhaps?
Code:
SELECT Comment FROM TableName WHERE CommentDate IN (SELECT Max(CommentDate) FROM TableName)

Randy

I got it to work by doing MAX on the date and first on the comment. I think when it runs, it does the Max date first which places that record first in the result set, then the comment is first. Does that make sense. I will use the sub query method instead....looks cleaner. Thanks

So there can be multiple comments on the same day too?

Leslie

No, there wont be multiples on the same day.

ToyFox and randy700,
Your solutions are not reliable. PH's is reliable. randy700's doesn't consider the account. I would never consider using "Last" in SQL since records in a table are not sorted.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back