Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble Connecting To Wireless From Across The House

Status
Not open for further replies.

chapelhillbilly

Technical User
May 9, 2006
US
Hey all,

I have a Comcast internet/phone modem connected to a new Linksys wireless router. I have no issues with the hardwired connection on my desktop and if I am using my laptop on wireless in the same room, I have no problems.

When I am across the house in the den (about 100ft away on the same level), I have zero bars and 90% of the time, the router doesn't even show up on the available networks list. This is on both my laptop and my wifes. I'm sure it's not the router because in my previous home in NC, we were able to connect with 4 bars about hte same distance across the house and on the 2nd floor.

My question is this. Could it be that the cable signal is just really week and is this something that can be tweaked/boosted by Comcast? Any suggestions are grately appreciated as it's driving us NUTS to not be able to connect unless we're in the room w/ the router.

Oh, and I have also tried switching routers as well (I also have a d-link router) and we had the same issues.

Thanks!
Don

The signal strength of the Comcast service has nothing to do with the signal strength of your WiFi router. You can completely disconnect the Comcast device and your router will still work the same. I'm not an expert on wireless routers however I have been installing wireless security devices for 15 years and the principles are the same. Many things can effect the signal. Metal items such as stoves, refrigerators, etc can cause issues. Also, if the area you are living in has more background RF noise that can interfere with the signal. Your best bet is to try to relocate the unit. Sometimes just moving it a few feet one way or another might help. Can you move it somewhere in the center of the house?

You could also purchase a booster or an external antenna.

I agree with JeffBouklin. Nothing to do with Comcast - it's undoubtedly down to the location of the laptop in relation to the router.

What, structurally, in the house is between the den and the router?

What about other devices in the house using 2.4GHz? Cordless phones, etc. Try turning off all the cordless phone handsets and the base station, and see if that helps increase your WiFi signal-to-noise ratio and gets you some extra signal strength bars.

Any close neighbours also using WiFi? Try changing your WiFi channel. If your laptop is seeing other WiFi networks, if possible, adjust the channel number so you have at least one clear channel (preferably more) between your system and the other network(s).

Try running Netstumbler on the laptop to see if noise or other WiFi signals are part of the problem.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back