Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble connecting to hosts on a subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanley

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
This is one that has me baffled.

I cannot connect to a host machine on a subnet on our network via a UNC path or a management console.

On the other hand, I can ping a host on the same subnet successfully. Also, hosts on that same subnet need to connect to all internal and external resources via a UNC path and oftentimes this does not work.

Fortunately, this does not interfere with workflow. Everyone can email, go the Internet, and connect to all of our enterprise applications.

Please advise. Thank you.

Have you checked firewall issues, ACL's, etc., MSRPC issues?

Can you connect to it via its IP address? i.e. X.X.X.X\c$

If you aren't having issues working on the network and the above test works, then it is DNS. You may need to configure the options for Dynamic DNS for the DHCP scope (assuming you are using DHCP) to allow DHCP to update DNS.

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

Andreh,

Nope, I can't connect via the IP address either. The message "You may not have permission" comes up in Windows Explorer each time an attempt is made to connect to a host on that subnet. Puzzling.

Have you removed the client from the domain and readded it at all? I would do this if you haven't

Andreh,

Yes, I have removed it from the domain and readded.

There should be no reason why this can't be done unless there is an issue with DNS records of that client or virus / spyware issues. Have you checked for spyware / viruses on this box?

(start thinking very basically)

Andreh,

Good question. This anomaly occurs on any box that is connected on this subnet.

For example, I can take my notebook to this location and duplicate the aforementioned issue. I can connect to server resources via UNC and other resources elsewhere on the network. Unfortunately, I cannot browse to any host on that particular subnet.

Is that specfic subnet part of the assigned AD Site?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back