Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble backing up ARCserve at the brick level on version 5.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

freys

MIS
Nov 20, 2002
US
I have ARCserve 6.5 running on an NT 4.0 server backing up my Exchange data,(Exchange 5.5) Arcserve is on the same server as the exchange. My DBagent is version 2.0 build 065. I back up 2 jobs to different tape drives one DLT one DAT. The DLT back up will fail giving me a series of messages such as

E8602 failed to read from database(DBname=Individualmailbox\"name"\deleted items EC=EXCH Exchange Agent --- (402)"exchange system error
or a 418 error, "application run out of memory"

here are a few of the things I have tried at the behist of CA.

1) set a bat file to turn off my anti virus just before time of update.
2) stopped and started the backup agent RPC service
3) deleted and recreated the backup schedule
4) re imputted passwords
5) switched the dat and dlt backups to see if the problem lay in the tape.

none of these have helped and the CA folks are now begining to hint that I should just scrap the ARCserve uninstall it and reinstall it and re patch back up. any other ideas before I take such draconian messures?

If you are getting this message in 1 Mailbox then
Export that whole mailbox as PST and run a scanpst on the PST

DatabaseBaba

It is happening to a series of mail boxes about 15 out of 250 or so, but it is the same 15 over and over again.

Thanks.

One more thing to add, when I ask a user to clean out their deleted items folder, the message will disapper, until they delete another item, the number of items in the folder does not seem to matter as long as its not zero. and unfortuntly (for me anyway) the company will not let me set a policy on the users computers that will empty the deleted file on shut down.

Does this error occur only on the deleted items of all the 15 mailboxes where this happens???

if not clearing out the Deleted items folder might not help.

Export these mailboxes into a PST, run scanpst on the pst files,

delete and recreate these mailboxes and import the PSTs back.

Note: you can use Exmerge to export\import.

cheers
Speshalyst
So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

ok i have made a .pst of the users mailbox and ran scanpst on it. The file came up clean, and I imported the file back to the user after i recreated the user. unfortuntly i still seem to be getting the out of memory (418) error.

I got same problem, can you fix the problem and how?
regards

I have a similar problem that freys has.
I am using Arcserve 6.61 Workgroup Edition with SP2a and Exchange Agent.
It worked fine when it ran in a NT 4.0 Server with Exchange 5.5 SP4. That server was an IBM Netfinity 5000 dual Pentium II 400 Mhz with 256 MB RAM, Raid 5 3 x 9 Gb hard disk and HP DAT 12/24Gb.
Well, I did a migration to a dual IBM xSeries 235 dual Xeon 2.2 Ghz with 1024Mb RAM, Raid 5 3 x 18 Gb and HP DLT 20/40 with same software five months ago.
Before migration, I did several tests on new hardware without problem.
Now, brick level backup fails in one or more mailboxes with "418 error". Sometimes, it works fine.
I could not find a pattern yet, but freys has given me an idea, perhaps the problem is a combination of Arcserve and DLT.
Of course, I have done a lot of things that freys has done (Restart agent, disable antivirus and so on).
CA support could not help me yet.
Anyone could help me?
Will I replace DLT and put DAT instead it?

Thanks,

Daniel

1-Can you paste the whole error message
2-try to put the brick level agent in debug mode and paste the logs which shows the error part here.
to put the agent in debug mode chedk the documenation on the CD

regards

1. Yes, here you are.

\Individual Mailboxes\XXXX, XXXX E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=Individual Mailboxes\XXXX, XXXX\Sent Items, EC=EXCH Exchange Agent -- (418) "Application run out of memory".)

2. I will do it as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Daniel

Dear mohamdr,

I've tried to put debug level 1, but the backup takes a lot of time.
CA support has told me that I should reinstall SP2a, so I did it yesterday. The backup has failed again.

Regards,

Daniel

Finally, CA has solved my problem about "418 error".
They have sent to me a new DLL.
I have replaced the old one and the brick level backup has not failed since that time.

PROBLEM RESOLUTION: Follow the instructions below:
1. This fix requires ARCserveIT 6.61 to be installed.
2. Shutdown ARCserve.
3. Unzip the fix file as follows:

CAZIPXP -u T368043.CAZ

4. Rename dbaxchg2.dll in X:\Arcserve to SVSETUP.T368043
5. Copy the dbaxchg2.dll to X:\Arcserve.
6. Start up ARCserve.

Best regards,

Daniel

Now if only CA posted that file on their website, I might be able to try this fix. Anybody have any idea where it might be found?

The Txxxxx.caz are testfixes, you can only get these on request when having an issue. Sometimes they get released as a standalone fix or as part of a major patch.

regards

We are having the exact same problem as was described by you, danr19!!!! Would it be possible for you to send us the test fix file? My email address is amccarthy@sigma-asl.com

Thanks in Advance

Andy

I'm getting the same error, E8602 failed to read from database with a 418 application ran out of memory message.

This started about a month ago on just one mailbox, now I'm up to 8 mailboxes. If I reboot, it will fail on one mailbox and eventually get back up to 8+ mailboxes. I've read that exchange 5.5 sp3 has some memory leaks in it. I can't confirm this but I suspect applying exchange sp 4 might help this issue. Has anyone else gone down that road?

my specs:
Exchange 5.5 sp3 on windows 2k sp4 arcserv 7 build 1018. Box has 500+ MB or Ram and 3GB of free disk space.

danr19!!!!, need help. the same to me can you send me also the file a_c_e0@yahoo.com

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back